Cake And Filling Combination Question

Decorating By eggchick Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm by eggchick

eggchick Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a sweet 16 cake next week and the birthday girl wants apple filling but doesn't like spice cake. Any ideas on what other flavors of cake go well with apple filling? I was thinking plain yellow/butter cake but that seems like it might be a bit rich. Thanks in advance for your input.

7 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

Chocolate (we dip fruit slices in it all the time) or for a lighter cake use a plain white/vanilla.

Chasey Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 8

By saying no to spice cake, would that rule out a Snickerdoodle recipe? It starts with a white cake, uses melted butter and a bit of cinnamon. Would be delish with the apple filling!

If no to the cinnamon in the cake, what about a caramel cake or a butter pecan cake?

divinecc Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 8

I have made a yellow cake with apple pie filling and vanilla whipped cream frosting, it was delicious!

Buttercream_warrior Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 8

i was thinking of a caramel cake too!! it would be like eating a caramel apple at the fair!! yumm

BeanCountingBaker Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

I don't know what your apple filling is like.

My suggestion is peanut butter cake, which probably doesn't go with your apple filling, but I used to run a bed and breakfast and I came up with a peanut butter whipped cream that I served with apple slices for breakfast. Your question has me thinking about re-working peanut butter whipped cream into a peanut butter apple filling for cake.

LisaPeps Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 8

I made a white chocolate mud cake with a mango filling. The mango filling ended up tasting like apple pie and went really well with the cake. Maybe white chocolate mud cake would be good? Kids love chocolate icon_razz.gif

eggchick Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The Butter Pecan cake sounds especially good. I talked to the girl's grandmother and we have decided to go with Yellow cake - she thinks that will be the best. But sometime I will try the Butter Pecan - and the Caramel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%