How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By gingersnapp Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm by Spectra

gingersnapp Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 3

I made this cake for a 2nd birthday party for my friends little girl. I did 8" & 6" ball

She wanted a yellow cake with jam and cream and Red velvet Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. 25ppl

The picture she sent me was a ladybug cake iced in frosting. She said that I could do whatever I wanted sticking to the ladybug idea.

I did butter cake with strawberry compote, whipped cream, Swiss butter cream & covered in fondant with gumpaste flowers & mini ladybugs.

So i guess my? Is- what do i charge her since she is a friend and i never discussed the price with her. she tried many times to ask the price but i never brought it up b/c i was so happy to be baking again that i did not really care how much i was going to charge. I just wanted to see if i could do it. Now i feel turn b/c it cost me $60 to make everything and i want to make something back for the work. My husband says we should not charge her market value b/c she is a friend. He says $85 for both cake and cupcakes and i feel that is ok, but now i am worried she might think that is too much. I know she has the money to pay me but what i did was more then she expected. I mean she Loved the cake and she did tell me that if i did not charge her she would never have me make anything for her again.

If she went to a local bakery she would pay $44 for a 10" cake & $3 for cupcakes. But not sure if any bakery she knows can do the cake that I did, so I cant say how much they would have charged her for my cake.

My price list is up in the air right now:

Mini cupcakes 1.50
Small cupcakes $2.50
Cakes?

Please help me with this so next time i don't make the same mistake. i need to grow a back bone if i am going to have a cake business icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

2 replies
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 3

Cute cake!

Sorry to say it, but your husband is wrong about not charging her too much because she is a friend. You DO NOT want to set that precedent! You don't want to be known as "that cheap cake lady". Especially since it sounds like she is willing to pay what it is worth and doesn't want a freebie. You really should have settled price and had money in hand before you even turned on your oven! I totally understand how you feel, and how hard it is to talk "money" with friends, but as soon as you figured out what you were doing and ok'd the design with her, you should have worked up a quote for her to agree upon. Now, if you do that and then you go above and beyond b/c she is your friend, you can do that and just note that on the invoice somewhere, so that she doesn't necessarily expect that price the next time.

As far as how much you should be charging for a cake like that, (Yours is the first pic you posted, correct?) I would consider that a shaped cake, which in my area shaped cakes START at $125-$200. It could be different for you area, though. Also, fondant covered cakes are always more than buttercream only. We charge a dollar more per serving for fondant cakes.

Usually using specialty fillings and icings like you did would increase the price too.

It's hard to tell you for sure how much to charge, because that it so dependent upon you, how much time it takes you, your area, etc.

Custom cupcakes I think usually start at around $4/per cupcake or more, depending on design and complexity.

If you charge her $85, you would make a grand total of $25 on that cake. Is that really fair to you?? How long did it take you to make that cake, and how much would that work out to per hour for you? Just some things to think about.

Spectra Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

I don't know about price, but I absolutely love your cake! You do amazing work! If you start to see her cringe at the price you can quickly say how much it cost you for all the ingredients and then she may understand. But who knows, she may think the $85 is an awesome deal for such a beautiful cake. Next time get the price first! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%