Difference Between Imbf And Smbf

Decorating By stacey71 Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm by Adevag

stacey71 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 14

Hi all! Im pretty much a cake newbie but am thinking of trying to make both the italian meringue buttercream and then the swiss meringue buttercream sometime in the near future.

I know the cooking methods for both are different but what else is the difference between the two? I mean in terms of taste and does one hold up in the heat better than the other?

Thanks
Stacey

13 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 14

I think the only difference is the cooking method. I prefer IMBC personally, and I think I'm about the only one!

drakegore Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 14

i am a smbc fan because i think it is easier than imbc (which completely intimidates me, lol).

i also bake for a lot of kids and all the reading i have done says much of the heat from the sugar syrup in IMBC is absorbed by the bowl instead of the eggs, so you most likely will not reach the 160 degrees needed to make the eggs safe (there really is only a small chance of problems, but since i feed to so many kids, i have to eliminate any risks i can). with SMBC, you heat the eggs and sugar directly and do not remove it from heat until you hit that magic number on the candy thermometer.

i absolutely love smbc. but you do have to use a lot more flavoring with it than PS buttercreams (tablespoons, not teaspoons).

diane

cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 14

I just made my first batch ever of SMBC (dyannbakes.com recipe), and my first successful batch of IMBC(Martha Stewart's recipe). (My first IMBC had sugar crystals in it, so I threw it out.) I put 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste in each recipe, and I think drakegore is right--they need lots more flavoring.

Rose_N_Crantz, I agree with you. The IMBC is so delicious and silky. I think the SMBC is greasier, but still good.

Do they always smell so "eggy" when they're being beaten? That kind of worried me.

Lcubed82 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 14

Do fondant decorations adhere to these icings? I have an "all natural" cake coming up, so want to try one of these instead of American BC (shortening/PS) We want polka dots all over.
TIA

3GCakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I think the only difference is the cooking method. I prefer IMBC personally, and I think I'm about the only one!

Nope...I love IMBC but I only do white chocolate or chocolate. And my family adores it. In fact, I've never made SMBC since I started using IMBC exclusively the last two years or so.

cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:17am
post #7 of 14

3G cakes,
That sounds delicious. How much chocolate or white chocolate do you add to make the IMBC? And when do you add the chocolate? Thanks.

jstoops08 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Do they always smell so "eggy" when they're being beaten? That kind of worried me.

When I make SMBC it has that egg smell as well. I panicked at first, but once the butter and flavors are added its all good from there icon_razz.gif

drakegore Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Do fondant decorations adhere to these icings? I have an "all natural" cake coming up, so want to try one of these instead of American BC (shortening/PS) We want polka dots all over.
TIA

they adhere wonderfully and you don't have to use anything to adhere them because both smbc and imbc are non-crusting. i pop mine in the fridge to harden it up before putting on the decorations. not necessary, but it sure makes it easier and if you have to move one, it doesn't leave a mess.

diane

cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks, jstoops.

What is French buttercream? I'm off to google that.

I just learned that it contains cooked yolks with sugar. Guess I'll have to try that someday, too.

3GCakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

3G cakes,
That sounds delicious. How much chocolate or white chocolate do you add to make the IMBC? And when do you add the chocolate? Thanks.

When I make a full batch....I use the equivalent of 8 whites (one carton of egg whites) and 1 3/4 pds butter....about 2 cups of sugar....and up to 12 ounces of melted, cooled white or dark chocolate.

I add the chocolate at the end and whip it some more.

cutthecake Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks 3G.

Lcubed82 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

TIA

they adhere wonderfully and you don't have to use anything to adhere them because both smbc and imbc are non-crusting. i pop mine in the fridge to harden it up before putting on the decorations. not necessary, but it sure makes it easier and if you have to move one, it doesn't leave a mess.

diane

Thanks, Diane!

The added chocolate sounds wonderful! I need to try these frostings out soon!

Adevag Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #14 of 14

I have yet to try any MBC. Since this is being discussed here I hope it's ok to go a little bit off topic.
I am just curious to know if there is a limited use of these frostings on cake. I mean, don't they melt easily if not refrigerated?
In this heat, how do you make cakes with SMBC or IMBC?
If you have a business and a client wants this frosting on a cake, is there a limit on decorations and details on the designs (if it can't be out in room temp. for too long)?

I think adding the chocolate is a great idea. Is that also helping it handle the heat better?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%