Cooling Rack For Large Cakes

Decorating By nonilm Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 12:27am by Cindy619

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 19

What do you use as a cooling rack for large cakes? I have some square cooling racks that barely fit a 12" round but they are useable. I just purchased some new racks, but then I realized...duh... they are only 10" wide. I could put two together but it may be tricky flipping it over with the pan. I have used a pizza pan with holes for a 16" cake once.

Any suggestions where to find or what to use for cooling racks larger than 12"?

18 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 19

I have three different kinds of super large racks. Got them all at various restaurant supplies.

MamaKarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaKarrie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 19

Dumb question here... the few times I've tried to use a cooling rack my cake has stuck to the bottom. Do you have to use a rack?

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 19

Hey mama,

Some sticking is going to be expected because the top of the cake will be sitting on the wires, and the cake will be hot and very prone to breakage at this point so the wired cooling racks have a tendency to allow the cake to sink right into it.

However, I put a piece of parchment or wax paper over the top of the cake before its inverted or on the rack itself and wala, no sticking! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 19

I always line my pans with parchment, so when I turn out my cakes, there's a barrier between the bottom of the cake and the rack. If it's not possible to use the parchment in the pan, then I do as BethLS and place a fresh sheet of parchment between the cake and the rack.

**Pet peeve alert** The word is, "voila". It is French for "there it is". These are not words: wala, walla, wa-la. Viola is a word, but it describes a stringed instrument or a flower.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Where's the Midol???

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 19

Pull out one of your oven racks ( while cold icon_smile.gif ) and use for a cooling rack!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I have three different kinds of super large racks. Got them all at various restaurant supplies.

Yep, that's what I use and if there isn't a restaurant supply close by you can order them on line.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 19

I use the largest one (14 1/2 x 20) by Wilton http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E319B26-475A-BAC0-53FE761A31885B5B&fid=81E71861-475A-BAC0-57745408EEE568B4 so far I haven't needed anything larger.

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 19

I'm certainly not going to get into proper english on a cake decorating forum icon_wink.gif

I use wala, regardless if it is correct, or not. It is my preference. icon_razz.gif

It is completely and utterly dependant on where you are in the country. icon_smile.gif

For me, it is no different for people who use vocalize "wash my clothes" as "warsh my clothes."

To each his (or her!) own.

Beth

DianeLM Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:28am
post #10 of 19

It's certainly your privilege to use whatever words you like. And it's my privilege to express my pet peeves. Ain't it a great world? icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #11 of 19

Oven rack! I tried that tonight and it worked well. I flipped the cake over on its top and used a few layers of paper towels to buffer and it worked great. There were some marks from the wires as they are kind of far apart but I'll probably cut them off when I level. I just wouldn't set the bottom of the cake on this rack.

I'll have to order one online next time I place an order somewhere. Ooo, more shopping! icon_lol.gif Thanks everyone!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

**Pet peeve alert** The word is, "voila". It is French for "there it is". These are not words: wala, walla, wa-la. Viola is a word, but it describes a stringed instrument or a flower.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Where's the Midol???

I'll bet you're also annoyed by the Yoplait Whips commercial that uses "walla".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 2:56am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

I use the largest one (14 1/2 x 20) by Wilton http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E319B26-475A-BAC0-53FE761A31885B5B&fid=81E71861-475A-BAC0-57745408EEE568B4 so far I haven't needed anything larger.

These racks work very well for most cakes thumbs_up.gif I just want to add that cooling racks should be the grid type (small squares, like in the above link) and not just the parallel vertical wires with one horizontal connecting wire across the middle. cakes/cookies will fall thru the vertical wire racks, but the grid racks hold them just great.

For those concerned with the sticky-tops sticking to the cooling rack, just place a 2nd cooling rack on (what would be the bottom of) the cake, grab both cooling racks (the cake is actually sandwiched between two racks, now) and flip. The cake is now sitting on it's natural bottom and the sticky-top isn't touching anything. thumbs_up.gif

MamaKarrie Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 19

I've got a super dumb question. Do you have to use a cooling rack and what are the benefits of it? I'm guessing it cools the bottom faster? If you put wax paper between the cake and rack is that defeating the purpose? Sorry I'm just really curious because I'm just a beginning beginner. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:42pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKarrie

I've got a super dumb question. Do you have to use a cooling rack and what are the benefits of it? I'm guessing it cools the bottom faster? If you put wax paper between the cake and rack is that defeating the purpose? Sorry I'm just really curious because I'm just a beginning beginner. icon_smile.gif

cooling racks allow the air to circulate and for the steam to escape during the cooling process.

MamaKarrie Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:50pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you. ps... love, love, love your buttercream icing recipe. icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKarrie

What indydebi said and regarding the wax paper - it does slightly inhibit air circulation, but it's still better than no rack at all or the risk of damaging a fragile cake. Personally, I prefer parchment paper because it doesn't tear as easily as wax paper.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 19

I use pizza screens like these. Work great and inexpensive. Best part is they come in all sizes. I have 2 16inchers for my larger cakes. Love them.
LL

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #19 of 19

Pizza screens - great idea! I currently use the largest Wilton cooling rack, but I'm going to have to look into these screens. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%