Gumpaste Fan

Decorating By sugarycreations Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm by sugarycreations

sugarycreations Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #1 of 4

Maybe my brain just isn't functioning right tonight but I've looked on the net & can't find directions for making a gumpaste fan. Instead of getting her usual ice-cream cake, my youngest has decided we should play with her birthday cake this year. Going for an oriental feel with a twist. Cherry blossoms with a folded or partially folded fan on it. The twist is a couple of candy clay cats on it. icon_lol.gif She has 2 cats & her boyfriend has given her the nickname of kitty & that's why the cats. So if anybody can send me off in the right direction for instructions on making a gumpaste fan, I would really appreciate it.

3 replies
msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 4

Wow, that's some idea icon_smile.gif

As you know gumpaste dries fast and you really don't have but so much time to play with it before it does. But, here's my idea(s):

1) if your gonna use gumpaste then my suggestion is to cut it in fan shape, fold in straight pattern (lightly) to get the creases and the decorate OR

2) you could get maybe edible images of. Yourdesign and then put them on you shaped gumpaste then fold VERY CAREFULLY until it looks like what you want OR

3) you could use fondant by itself or mixed with a little tylose, gum-tex, or gumpaste and use the same ideas from above.

I hope that my rambling doesn't make you crazy, lol. I just had all of this in this old brain of mines and sometimes the words fight with each other, LMBO icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 4

You could cut separate pieces, long skinny strips that taper at one end, make a hole in all of them in the same spot, then let them dry. Glue the edges together, overlapping, to make the fan shape and put a gumpaste string through the hole, knot the end and attach a tassel.

The other way to do it, the simpler way, would be to pleat a piece of thick paper into a fan shape, dust it with corn starch, and lay a piece of gumpaste on top of it, pinching the pleats for more definition, then let it dry.

sugarycreations Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 4

I love the simple way! It was like duh.....should have thought of that! lol Simple would be ever so much faster. Time saved would quite possibly allow me time to paint a design on the fan.

So I'm all set except for actually making the cakes icon_biggrin.gif Have directions for making cherry blossoms & can make them while watching Bones tonight. Probably tackle the fan this afternoon in between meetings. Know the design I want to do for granddaughter's Hello Kitty ice cream cake. I might do the butterflies out of candy clay as she loves it.

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%