My Great Craigs List Find - But What Is This???

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm by CookieMeister

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 11

This weekend I got a ton of cake stuff for only $200 - including an airbrush with 2 guns, a kopykake projector, *tons* of pans, bags, tips - it was freaking incredible! I'm still going through all my new goodies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

But there are about 20 of these guys and have to admit that I don't know what's going on here. I looked at them at first and assumed they were little baking cups - like for individually baking jumbo cupcakes. But half of them have 3 holes on one side of the bottom. icon_confused.gif I'm left scratching my head. Is this someone's homemade heat core? But if so, why would the holes only be on one side?

Here's the pics:
Top one has the holes, bottom is hole-less.

Here's just the one with the holes, closer up. The holes are on the right hand side.

10 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #2 of 11

there little condiment bowls, you can buy a pack of 12 at sams for about $4.70. you can bake in them if you want to make small cakes or rum babas.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:55am
post #3 of 11

But why the holes then? The condiment cups don't have those.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:06am
post #4 of 11

do they all have holes?

alleykat1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alleykat1 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #5 of 11

wow congrats on the find!!! don't know about the holes though

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:48am
post #6 of 11

Could they be used to make cupcakes with a really high dome? I'm thinking if you were to put the batter in one with no holes and then put the one with the holes (properly greased, of course) on top, upside down, the cake could rise up into the top one without spilling over. The steam could get out the holes. I don't know how well this would work without some sort of clips or something holding the top one on straight.

Cake_Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Bliss Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:57am
post #7 of 11

I don't know about the holes, but I would probably call and ask the person you purchased all your great stuff from. That is an awesome deal for everythingicon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 11

The holes look like maybe the original owner of the condiment bowls put them there. Could they have been used to drizzle on danish, cakes, cookies, ect...

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

The holes look like maybe the original owner of the condiment bowls put them there. Could they have been used to drizzle on danish, cakes, cookies, ect...

I second what Peg said.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 11

The holes do look 'after market' --I've poked holes in round items like that so I could use them as cutters--biscuits, yeast dough, etc. I don't think this is why they did tho--maybe they sat them inside another one to drain juices from something else... hum.. the great mystery continues!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Interesting thought. Hmmmmmmm. The lady I bought them from was in the process of moving, so I don't want to bother her and say "hey, what are these?" icon_smile.gif

I washed everything last night - There were over 20 wilton bags, about 60 tips, a gajillion couplers, around 20 pans - 3" round pans, hearts, squares, half sheets in all sorts of sizes and in great shape, cookie cutters, offset spatulas, these cups, unopened colors. I was really just wanting the kopykake projector and the air gun, but wow - lots of extra goodies! I'm flying high on my great deal! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%