Orange Cupcakes Question

Baking By MamaKarrie Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 12:20am by MamaKarrie

MamaKarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaKarrie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:21am
post #1 of 19

I've been asked to make 100 cupcakes for a benefit raising money for a child with cancer. Her type of cancer is represented by the color orange so I'm going to get orange and white polka dot wrappers and do a 1M swirl. Any ideas what I should top it with? I'm a beginner so it needs to be something easy. I like the flowers in this picture but don't know how to make them or what they are made of. Suggestions please. Thanks!
LL

18 replies
MamaKarrie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 19

Totally should have posted this under cupcakes... sorry!

sandypins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandypins Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #3 of 19

Looks like royal icing to me icon_smile.gif

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 19

You've got a good start already with the liners and the orange 1M swirl. You could use a gumpaste daisy cutter to make fondant or gumpaste daisies to put on top.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=656&s=195&name=Gumpaste%20Cutters/Flower%20Cutters

Add the icing dot in the center and you should pretty much have it.

MamaKarrie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 19

Thank you for the quick replies. I took a look at the Global Sugar Art site and will order the gerber daisy cutters along with a 2 lb tub of gumpaste. I've never used gumpaste before but the daisy's look pretty easy. I'll go look at some tutorials. Thanks again!

MomMiller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomMiller Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 19

The daisies are the easiest (in my opinion) gumpaste flowers to make. You will do fantastic! I love the idea and can't wait to see your posted pictures. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 19

fondant or gumpaste daisies would be pretty easy too. But if you don't want to invest in new tools, it looks like the picture they are actually royal icing. So you could make them on some square of wax paper on a nail and then lay them in a flower former to get a little curl to them or just lay them flat.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 19

I use fondant to make mine. I let them dry in flower formers. They are edible and palatable in addition to being pretty. Gumpaste will be food safe but not palatable.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:54am
post #9 of 19

What about a drop flower made from royal icing with a pretty orange center?? They'd be quick and inexpensive to make.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:55am
post #10 of 19

I would ask what the child wants. It seems to me they should represent the child more than just the color of the cancer. KWIM?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I would ask what the child wants. It seems to me they should represent the child more than just the color of the cancer. KWIM?

They're for a fundraiser for the child, not a party. I think it's a good idea to represent with orange like breast cancer has pink.

What's KWIM??

MamaKarrie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 19

Can I ask one more question. Looks like in the pic they used two wrappers... do you think I should bake in plain white and then put them in the orange and white polka dot wrappers when they are done?

Meemoogirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemoogirl Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:45am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

What's KWIM??

Know What I Mean

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:58am
post #14 of 19

The flowers on the cupcake picture you attached looks like it was done in white chocolate. That would be easy to do also.

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:00am
post #15 of 19

these are definiately royal icing daisies. you can look on the wilton site to find out how to make them. Ithe petals are done with tip 104, and the center with star tip either 14 or 16. I think you'd bake the cupcakes in a plain liner then when they are done put them in the polka dot liners.

MamaKarrie Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:16am
post #16 of 19

Finished my 100 cupcakes. I think they actually turned out pretty cute. Thank you to all of you for your great tips and advice. I ended up making the flowers out of fondant. It was my first time even touching it and it was actually a lot of fun. Next project is a smash cake for my friends baby girl who is turning one. Cupcakes are one thing but a cake makes me nervous. Oh well at least it will be made with love. Wish me luck!

MamaKarrie Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:33am
post #17 of 19

Going to try again to post my picture. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #18 of 19

Wow, your cupcakes turned out so nice.

MamaKarrie Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #19 of 19

Thank you Juststarted... I sure hope my smash cake turns out too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%