Just Want To Vent...

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 21 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm by costumeczar

Tinabarena Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #1 of 26

I received an email late last night for a cake for this Saturday. The customer wanted a 2 tiered cake, with a weight-lifting theme. It would've been pretty simple on my end - I just planned on doing 2 circle cakes, designed to look like dumb-bells. I told her $50. I don't think $50 is too much...maybe I'm wrong...

She wrote back that she didn't want to spend that much and will just go to Costco and buy/decorate a cake. Now, I've read many of cc's threads, and this is pretty common...and I knew full well this would happen to me as well.

In reality, I'm not upset about not doing the cake - I already have a different cake that I have to do, on top of a large event in which I am a vendor at this weekend - so, in all honesty, I didn't really know how I was going to it all done. But, she's a 'friend', so I thought I'd help her out.

Anyway - the thing that bothers me is that she is also a small business owner and makes/sells homemade BBQ sauce. Now her sauce sells for $5/bottle and it isn't even the size of a normal grocery store bottle! Of all people, she should know the time, cost, energy, etc. involved in making things! And $50 is too much? icon_mad.gif

I'm just aggrivated...sorry to vent...

25 replies
Doug Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 26

return the "favor"

be sure to point out a sale on BBQ sauce that you intend take advantage of while remarking how good her sauce is but .... well.... it's just SO expensive.

----

sometimes turnabout IS fair play --- like in this instance.

----

consider it educating a cake muggle.

cupcake_cutie Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:29am
post #3 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

return the "favor"

be sure to point out a sale on BBQ sauce that you intend take advantage of while remarking how good her sauce is but .... well.... it's just SO expensive.

----

----

thumbs_up.gif

Tinabarena Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 26

that is funny and EXACTLY what my husband said! Really, he's the one that likes the BBQ sauce...not me...I'm good with the regular ole' Open Pit!
thumbs_up.gif

bennett5 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:35am
post #5 of 26

Totaly agree w/you Doug,I have a sister that begs my family to move to her town saying that her community would pay so much better than the one Im in BUT, and its a big one....I did 100 decorated sugar cookies for a special work function she had and mailed them. She knows I charge by the inch and do you think she paid me anything?? Nope not a dime and that was months ago! I know exactly how you feel, its a weird sence of guilt.

giggysmack Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

return the "favor"

----

----

Awesome!!!

Doug Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 26

oh and when she protests:

but my BBQ sauce is homemade, with the freshest ingredients and so much care, time and hard work to make it extra special good and it's worth every penny

smile sweetly and say:

so are my cakes!

then point out that costco cake = store bought BBQ sauce

indydebi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:47am
post #8 of 26

I luv doug!! icon_biggrin.gif

FleurDeCake Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:51am
post #9 of 26

I am still stuk on how the H--- shethought $50 was too much for a 2 tiered cake . icon_eek.gif

JulieMN Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:37am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I luv doug!! icon_biggrin.gif

ditto icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:03am
post #11 of 26

Someone I work with wanted an 8" chocolate cake, covered in fondant with a fondant train topper, giving me 4 days notice for £10... thats $15

ok... what are you smoking?

Lol

JenniferMI Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 26

Ditto to Doug!!

People have NO clue what goes into making a decorated cake.... no clue...

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 26

Just keep chanting over and over again "they are Costco customers not my clients...and Costco is welcome to them!" You lost out on nothing. You will encounter this over and over again...we are not "bakers" per sey, we are artists. Just like you can walk into one of those chain jewelry marts (the ones that sell plastic jewelry to kids and $5 earrings?) and buy a necklace it will NOT be the same quality or look as one from Tiffany's. We are not a a jewelry mart..we ARE Tiffany's.

Cat

Tinabarena Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:24pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Just keep chanting over and over again "they are Costco customers not my clients...and Costco is welcome to them!" You lost out on nothing. You will encounter this over and over again...we are not "bakers" per sey, we are artists. Just like you can walk into one of those chain jewelry marts (the ones that sell plastic jewelry to kids and $5 earrings?) and buy a necklace it will NOT be the same quality or look as one from Tiffany's. We are not a a jewelry mart..we ARE Tiffany's.

Cat

Cat, that made me get chills! You are right - we ARE Tiffany's!

Thanks ya'll for making me feel better!

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 26

OK, I'm feeling ornery today..........based on Doug's response, I'd e-mail her this:

"Thanks for the cake inquiry.

I fully understand your decision to purchase a cheaper, store bought cake at Costco. Not every event calls for a custom designed, quality ingredient, show-stopper cake. Sometimes an inexpensive, mass produced, bucket icing coated slab is all that is necessary.

I make the same considerations when purchasing my BBQ sauce and for most of my needs, the gallon jugs from Costco are just PERFECT." icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

Rae

Laurieg Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #16 of 26

Hey, there are some really overqualified decorators at Costco(or Walmart) just waiting for someone to wisk them away to a real bakery!

Laurieg Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:05am
post #17 of 26

Hey, wait a sec, there are some very overqualified decorators at Costco (Walmart) just waiting for someone to wisk them away to a real bakery!

JulieMN Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurieg

Hey, there are some really overqualified decorators at Costco(or Walmart) just waiting for someone to wisk them away to a real bakery!

True....but because of their setting they are quite limited in what they are able to do for the customer. So it is not a case of inability, but a case of what they are allowed to create or confines they are limited to.

Babs1964 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 4:20am
post #19 of 26

Blakescakes, you having me in stitches with that response icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetonyouzz Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #20 of 26

Did you explain what kind of creation you were going to do for her? She might get the idea that the cake was well worth 50 bucks!

I do feel I must speak up about Costco as my feathers are in a bit of a ruffle when people feel the decorators there are somewhat not as qualified. I worked for over 35 years as a decorator in bakeries and my last 15 were at Costco. I am a trained and schooled pastry chef but the Costco way is to only offer a few cakes at low prices for the members. So no matter how talented the decorator was her hands were tied. I mixed my icings and we use butter, etc, just like at home. I felt for the price that our product was pretty good and filled a need. I had 7 children to support and put through school and the pay and the benifits I got were out of this world compared to places that gave more artistic freedom. I could pump out sometimes 70 cakes a day and they were decent not artistic masterpieces but decent. I learned to be one hell of a great buttercream decorator and people mistake a lot of my bc pics for fondant cakes now that I have my little shop.

I have my prices on my website so I do not get complaints about my pricing. When I worked so my family could eat that company saved my life...now that I am retired, took a few years away from the cake dec I am doing MY dream of being an artist because now that the kiddies are taken care of..(I do have a disabled child left at home.) I can do my cakes like I want.....

I know that it is frustrating getting people who think your hard work is 'expensive' but for every one like that there are 100 people who will be more than happy to pay for your artistic talent!! So ignore her ignorance..

best of luck!!

julzs71 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:08am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurieg

Hey, wait a sec, there are some very overqualified decorators at Costco (Walmart) just waiting for someone to wisk them away to a real bakery!

uh...Costco employees have good wages and benefits. Why would they want to leave

tmac670 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 6:30am
post #22 of 26

Most chain bakeries (grocery stores, Sam's, Costco, etc) limit what their decorators can do. This is by no means is a reflection of the talent or ability of the decorator. And I don't think the poster meant it that way.
I would trade my minimum wage job for a job decorating in a chain grocery in a heart beat! Give me a chance to slap buttercream on a pre-baked cake-- I will do it all day, every day for 12 bucks an hour. And if it was not a work of art- my feelings would not be hurt at all!

Laurieg Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #23 of 26

SWEETONYUZZ-- you nailed it. I have been at Walmart for 8 years. My customers get WELL beyond what they pay for. I have been lucky in having managers that allow me as much artistic freedom" as I have time for". I have 8 kids and my reasons for staying are the same as yours. I just dream that one day Ron Ben-Israel will come in and wisk me away. I took a class with him once, he is a lot of fun! Just Brilliant!!!!

sweetonyouzz Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 7:29pm
post #24 of 26

Laurieg, with your experience you should try Costco. We were always looking for experienced (they only hire people who have worked in bakeries) cake decorators and I do not know what they pay in U.S. but it's about 23 an hour here (I am pretty sure..see, I retired about 5 yrs ago) and you get bonus's and really good benifits as well! They need people like you!!

KayMc Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:28pm
post #25 of 26

BlakesCakes,
that is a FABULOUS response! I wish, oh I wish, the OP would send that email to the customer.

costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 11:45pm
post #26 of 26

Wait, the OP said that the friend said that she didn't want to spend that much, not that the cake was too expensive. It wasn't in her budget, that doesn't mean that she thinks it's overpriced, it means she can't afford it. Maybe barbecue sauce sales aren't going that well this year icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, if she's happy with a cheaper cake then maybe that's because it's all she can afford, it might not be meant as an insult. That's all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%