When Should I Pull It Out Of The Freezer?

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 3:08am by mustangsallii

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 6

I have a frozen 3D cake that is essentially 2 9x13 sheet cakes stacked and carved. Oh, and it's fully decorated with fondant already. (Long story). Anyhow, I need it fully thawed and to room temp by 5pm Thursday evening. It's at that point I'll have to make the decision whether or not to pull all the fondant off and re-do that portion of the cake. I'm a "fresh baker" so I've never dealt with frozen cake before.

5 replies
lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

When I freeze my cakes, just cake, not decorated at all, it only takes about an hour to thaw.. I'd saw you would be OK taking it out Thursday morning.. I'm not a pro, but I would take it out thursday morning.. good luck icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 6

Yup, I would give it plenty of time to come to room temp and for the condensation to evaporate as well as time to redecorate if needed. The one time I tried this with a decorated cake, fondant as well, the cake and fondant sagged horribly after thawing. It was just for us, thankfully, but I would have recovered it if it had been for a client. It still tasted wonderful but didn't look so good.

Cat

mustangsallii Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 6

I plan to sit a fan on each side of it to help with drying the condensation that forms. If it doesn't look as good as the work I would normally produce I'll recover it.

mustangsallii Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 6

Okay, so it's been out of the freezer since midnight last night (9hrs now) and it looks great!!! I sat it on cooling racks to elevate it and allow equal amounts of air to hit it from all sides. I put one fan on each side of it and turned them on medium. The constant air blowing has kept any condensation from forming! I had one small run when I got up this morning, but I dampened a wash cloth and was able to wipe it off. There's still always time for disaster to strike, but for now it looks like it may work out! This is definitely not something I would ever choose to do because the stress and pressure of it turning out good is terrible!

mustangsallii Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #6 of 6

So you can freeze a completely decorated fondant cake! It turned out fabulous! I received an email from the happy bride that the cake was the best she had ever had! Yippee! I definitely wouldn't make it a habit to do this because of the stress it caused me, but in a pinch it will work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%