Issue With Duff's Fondant

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm by Elcee

adventuregal Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 5

I've been using Duff's fondant lately to do some figures and I really like it-last night I tried to cover a cake in it and I ran into some trouble. In order to roll it without it sticking I had to crisco it, but then when I tried to smooth the fondant the crisco made it too sticky to smooth. So how do I strike the balance of making it not stick to me as I'm rolling, but dry enough to smooth once I put on the cake?
Any one have luck with Duffs when covering a cake?

4 replies
grandmaruth Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 5

I buy black because it is so hard to get black if coloring it yourself...but i agree....it was a pain to work with....i had to load it up with cornstarch so it wouldnt tear when i lifted it to put on the cake...I like Satin Ice but dont have the access to it as easily as i do Duffs (Michaels)..I am going to try my hand at coloring Wilton fondant black...Wilton isnt really that bad anymore, honest. ...and i like working with it icon_biggrin.gif

camille51987 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

I didnt reall have a problem with it. I left it out at room temp and didnt have to microwave it. Just hit it with powdered sugar every so often.

catlharper Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

I did find it to be very soft but after kneading in more PS to get it to the right consistancy it was a breeze. However, because it's so soft I wouldn't roll it out on crisco...that would compound the problem I would think.

Cat

Elcee Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

However, because it's so soft I wouldn't roll it out on crisco...that would compound the problem I would think.

Cat

I agree; I have used it to cover a couple of cakes and used 50/50 powdered sugar/cornstarch instead of shortening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%