At My Wits End....

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 14 Aug 2010 , 4:34am by sberryp

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 26

I have been baking all morning for my weeks orders....I am trying to bake a 7 inch round coconut cake.I used a coconut DH mix with extender recipe and added shredded coconut.The first cake came out and the whole top broke off.....had to throw it out....redid it again.greased the pans with gobs of shortening and floured again...The second one came out the same..I ran a knife around the edges...flipped the cake from side to side to loosen it etc...The top edges again all broken and wrecked!!! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif I have never had this problem before ...ever....Could it be the Fat Dadioas pan...I have had issues with these pans doing the very same thing....Is it because I added shredded cocount to the mix..(Dense)...Could it be that I did an extender and the batter was a bit thinner..

Okay...It been 4 cakes now...2-7 inch and 2-6 inch and I have thrown out all 4 icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif I have never had cakes stick this bad before...I have turned the oven down to 300...325....the top of the cakes are all sticking to the pan...I am ready to cry icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have wasted valuable baking time and 3 mixes....

Any insight!!

25 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 26

I mix equal parts crisco, oil and flour then spread it on my pans, then parchment paper circle. My coconut cake recipe uses a cup of coconut no problem.

I use a scratch recipe though and magic line pans, but I would give parchment a try.

SoSasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoSasha Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 26

So sorry icon_sad.gif I just had a flashback to a few years ago... I added coconut to a cake to use up a bag and had the exact same problem. This might just be a random coincidence but it could be the coconut? Perhaps it's sinking in the batter and weakening the bottom? I would try to reduce the coconut a little and then go to town with the parchment and line the heck out of that pan lol

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 26

I'd go for parchment paper too. No real thoughts on what the problem is... Unless they are not baked right? Sounds like a common modification, so I wouldn't guess the coconut was the problem.
Good luck!
xx

kpry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpry Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 26

Maybe it is the Duncan Hines mix. That happens to me with Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. Maybe try another brand, even a vanilla flavor.

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 26

Okay..so I have never used parchment before..never needed too but do I grease and flour the pan before I lay the parhcment circle in or after overtop of the parhcment?I also thought about strips to go around the edges inside also...

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 26

I've had this problem with carrot cake. I always use the parchment on the bottom for it now. Grease pans as usual. Lay down the parchment on the bottom. Then grease the parchment. Works like a charm every time. I never parchment the sides though because I normally would just run a knife around them.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 26

I grease the pan then put a circle of parchment in the bottom and when you flip the cake out the parchment just comes with it, I have never done the sides, not sure about that part.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 26

no need to use flour if you are lining your cake tins with parchment paper - grease the tin, line the base and the sides with a double layer of parchment paper. I always lightly grease the parchment paper too...then add your mix, there should be no problems with your cake sticking to the parchment paper - good luck icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 26

Thanks Moondance...I am so frustrated...Never in 10 years of decorating have I had such a bad cake baking day!!LOL

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 26

final question..My parchment paper looks to have a silcione side (Shiny ) and a matte side..What side to I put down on the pan and cake?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:23am
post #12 of 26

I don't think it matters which side you use. I also will use just wax paper for carrot cakes and coconut cakes, works just as well as the parchment. Hope it worked out for you!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #13 of 26

I switched to DH once, (white cake) and the same thing happened. I hate DH. Tastes good, but difficult to work with.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Thanks Moondance...I am so frustrated...Never in 10 years of decorating have I had such a bad cake baking day!!LOL

So sorry to hear of your troubles. I had a similar bad day with my sister's graduation cakes.....had four unusable sheet cakes. That is when I started adding wax paper or parchment paper to the bottom of the pan in addition to the pan spray. No trouble since then.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks everyone!! I do appreciate the tips and advice!!Back to baking again today!!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 26

I only use DH and never have a problem. I grease and sometimes use wax paper on the bottom. I also do not cool my cakes in the pans at all, I flip out onto a rack as soon as they come out of the oven. That way the "grease" doesn't have the chance to cool and congeal causing the cake to stick.

SoSasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoSasha Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:39pm
post #17 of 26

The only time I ever use parchment on the sides is when I'm trying a new recipe and have no idea how high I should fill the pan and how high it the cake will raise. Having a nice ring of parchment with an extra inch or so of protection around the height of the pan has definitely saved me from a couple of burnt-oven disasters!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #18 of 26

Well..I re-baked to day and used parchment on the bottom and the sides and the cakes came out perfect...I guess from now on I'll have to go the extra step and use parchmnet on white cakes...lesson learned!!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 26

I have used parchment on the bottom of my pans for years. I love it because if I get busy and forget to turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack they still come out fine, no matter how long they've sat in the pan. I buy the different size circles by the package of 100 and always make sure I have them on hand.
evelyn

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Well..I re-baked to day and used parchment on the bottom and the sides and the cakes came out perfect...I guess from now on I'll have to go the extra step and use parchmnet on white cakes...lesson learned!!

thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 26

Yay! I've never used parchment on the sides, either. I've just started using it on the bottom and love it. You bet your heiney I'd use it on the sides if the sides were sticking, though! Much less frustrating and inexpensive than baking and rebaking and rebaking. Glad it worked out for you!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 26

I feel your frustration and your relief when you got those things to bake without problems! I just delivered a cake today (which was a disater as I watched it slide apart in the car...) but I wanted to add, that two of the tiers were coconut extended DH mix cakes...and I always use parchment paper liner bottoms and have no trouble. I used a regular DH yellow cake mix, replaced one cup of the water with coconut milk, added a tsp of coconut extract, 3/4 cup shredded coconut, and the remaining usual add-ins, sour cream, flour, sugar, etc.

I think after reading your post, I will make sure to continue to use those parchment circles, I often wonder if I really need them, that I might be safe using just grease and flour. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #23 of 26

I'm glad it finally worked out.

I use waxed paper as well, like Loucinda said. Parchment for me is too expensive. I started using it after having to chuck out some WASC cakes that got destroyed on their way out of the pan. Now I never have a problem.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 8:26pm
post #24 of 26

I never bake a cake without parchment paper. It's the only way to be 100% sure.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 12:55am
post #25 of 26

GLad it worked out for you. On a side note - you can get DH coconut in Calgary??? If so I am SO jealous!! I'm in Ontario and can't get coconut, strawberry or red velvet. All of which I want to be able to icon_sad.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 4:34am
post #26 of 26

I use the Pam baking spray

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%