"vanilla Pudding Filling"

Decorating By kger Updated 21 May 2016 , 8:22pm by Fancy First

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 27

When someone requests vanilla pudding for a filling, do you literally use vanilla pudding, or is a custard or bavarian cream filling in order?

26 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 27

I usually use a bavarian creme sleeve filling. I never had a problem or complaint.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 27

I have used regular jello brand french vanilla pudding... If you get the package that calls for 2 cups of milk , only add 1 1/2...

I usually make Vanilla Pastry cream, but the pudding mix works well also.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 27

Pudding works well, just use less milk to make it thick. Its easier than making pastry cream icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:31am
post #5 of 27

I use one small box instant pudding and two cups of whipping cream. Whip until peaks start to form. This is so good.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:13am
post #6 of 27

Sweetreat101, someone told me about that recipe sometime ago and I couldn't remember it. Thanks so much, I'm going to write it down this time. The brain seems not to be keeping new additions as much as it used too, LOL icon_smile.gif

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:20am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I use one small box instant pudding and two cups of whipping cream. Whip until peaks start to form. This is so good.

I do this with all puddings I use for fillings as well.

Sweettreat is so right, it is soooooo good, I will sometimes make up a double batch, spoon it into parfait glasses and viola, dessert!

kger Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:56am
post #8 of 27

Does anyone happen to know what the difference in flavor is between the French Vanilla and regular Vanilla? I've only ever had the regular. Thanks for the whipping cream tip. I think that's what I'll do.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 27

To me the the french vanilla has a richer flavor (more vanilla-y hahhaha if thats a word)

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:21am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

Quote:

Sweettreat is so right, it is soooooo good, I will sometimes make up a double batch, spoon it into parfait glasses and viola, dessert!

I use the same recipe as well. I just whisk it together until I get the thickness I want. My grandchildren LOVE it, even more if I can get my hands on the hard to find in my area, Oreo instant pudding!!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 27

the puddings have to be kept chilled dont they?

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

Quote:

I use the same recipe as well. I just whisk it together until I get the thickness I want. My grandchildren LOVE it, even more if I can get my hands on the hard to find in my area, Oreo instant pudding!!

I've never heard that. So, you combine the pudding mix with the whipping cream and then whip to peaks? Sounds great!

And Joyfull444, I wish I had that problem. In Canada, at least in my area, we only seem to get the chocolate, vanilla, lemon if lucky, pistachio, occaisionally white chocolate and tons of the oreo. I wish we had the other flavours. I will have to stock up when I visit the US at Christmas.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #13 of 27

I have done pudding fillings using a box of instant pudding, a packet of dream whip, and about 1 1/2 cups of milk or a little less depending on the thickness I want. I once made a chocolate pudding filling with crumbled thin mint cookies and got rave reviews. One guy tried to demand my recipe so his girlfriend could make it for him.

sweettreat101 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 8:46am
post #14 of 27

The Oreo mousse is also really good. I personally don't care for the French vanilla. The banana cream with a layer of slice bananas is really yummy. Yes your cake will need to be refrigerated. I refrigerate my cakes before delivery. I have had cakes filled with this mousse sit out for four to five hours and have never had any problems. I also use it to fill cupcakes and have taken them to work where my boss leaves them on her desk for eight hours and never gotten sick. I honestly think the sugar content helps preserve the cream just as the sugar content in butter cream preserves the milk that some people use in their frosting's. I just recently used the vanilla for two weddings one being outdoors. The cake was under a tree so it was shaded and the wedding was in the evening so it wasn't extremely hot. Everyone loved it. I love this recipe because the pudding makes the whipped cream extremely stable. I made some last Sunday and still have some left in the fridge and it is still the same consistency as the day I made it.

kger Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:03am
post #15 of 27

What is the pastry cream made of that is used in donuts and eclairs that allows them to sit on a shelf all day?

sweettreat101 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 9:05am
post #16 of 27

You could use Bettercreme in place of the whipping cream and add a small box of instant vanilla pudding and whip until thickened. This wouldn't need to be refrigerated. Or you could also use non dairy coffee creamers and pudding. I think I would use the Bettercreme as it would be a more stable filling.

kger Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:07am
post #17 of 27

I have no access to Bettercreme. We just don't get it here. It's a nice idea, though.

mtaylor10099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaylor10099 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 4:21pm
post #18 of 27

What is Bettercreme, is there anything similar that could be substituted? Pastry Pride?????

kger Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 27

Pastry Pride is similar to Bettercreme, as is Frostin' Pride. We don't have those here, either.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:23pm
post #20 of 27

A co-worker gave me a recipe for her "Creamy Dreamy Pie". It's 1 tub of Whipped topping, 1 small box vanilla pudding, 16 oz sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla.

You just mix it all together and it's pretty thick. Normally I would put strawberries on the bottom of a shortbread crust and spread this mixture on top, but I thought it might make an excellent filling for a cake. It's pretty thick and a thin layer would be good as a filling. I used it in a trifle wtih leftover cake and strawberries. It was VERY good.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 5:47pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

What is the pastry cream made of that is used in donuts and eclairs that allows them to sit on a shelf all day?

It's the pastry fillings sold in clear sleeves in cake supply shops or online. I bought one of the Bavarian flavor to try, and it tastes like grocery store Boston Cream filling, but no ingredients were listed. I prefer the fresh dairy ingredients myself icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 27

All this talk about whipping cream and pudding made me hungry so I tried it and made these little parfaits with leftover cake. It holds its shape so well!
LL

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 7:30pm
post #23 of 27

SharonK those parfaits looks so yummy and what a great idea!

I try not to give into my hungry horrors anymore (but one little bite won't hurt icon_wink.gif )

kger Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #24 of 27

How awesome! It's just whipping cream and pudding? Anything else in there?

emtjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emtjmw Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:10pm
post #25 of 27

I tried using one small box of vanilla pudding and added 2 cups heavy whipping cream, it didn't get hard, only the top layer was hard, then if I tried to stir again it got thin.  Then added another box of pudding to the mix and still no change.  What did I do wrong?  I used the same recipe for chocolate pudding and this mixture worked.  Thanks, emtjmw

ripo2nd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ripo2nd Posted 13 Dec 2014 , 8:15pm
post #26 of 27

The best Vanilla Pudding I ever tasted I got from a restaurant in Prague, after asking the restaurant owner the recipe, he told me its from a local homemade family run business, and gave me their website. Their website is https://www.juzlova.cz Trust me, you will regret not trying this.  Its amazing! Its only available for people in Europe, i'm not sure if they ship to the US! 

Fancy First Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancy First Posted 21 May 2016 , 8:22pm
post #27 of 27

i  love these  recipes   They sound  quick  and easy

ideas 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%