Fondant Selection Help

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm by KTB4

KTB4 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a wedding cake for a friend in September. I've already purchased and tried out SPS (thanks leah_s) and it's great yay! Now I have to decide which fondant to use to cover the cake.

I only have three available to me without paying astronomical shipping charges so would prefer to pick from them. Fondarific, Satin Ice or Choco-pan.

I've used Fondarific a bunch and quite like it but can never get it to work for me for decorations. Satin Ice works better for me for decorations but I haven't been thrilled with it to cover the cakes (howver I know they were having issues and I'm not sure if I have the affected stuff or not). I've never used Choco-pan.

Anyone have clear favourites? They're all about the same price for me to get and I can get them all in ivory which is what I need. I'm SO indecisive icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
iwantalicakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 5

I don't pay for fondant, I make my own mmf.

**I also want to add here that I make my own black fondant by starting out making mmf. After you melt down the mallows add black food color paste and stir. Then continue on with the KA MMF recipe. Comes out so great and is a perfect dark black color. I had a hard time finding a post with info about this topic and have been meaning to share.

KTB4 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

thanks alicakes - I have made mmf before but don't care for the way it works or tastes really.

sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 9:27am
post #4 of 5

So what I did was ordered 5 pounds of Fondarific for covering the cakes and a 2 lb tub of Satin Ice for the decorations. I ordered from Fondant Source and the shipping wasn't that bad. Fondarific was around 29.99 and 2 lbs of Satin Ice was 6.49. This way I was able to get the best of both worlds and everything worked out perfectly.

KTB4 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

So what I did was ordered 5 pounds of Fondarific for covering the cakes and a 2 lb tub of for the decorations. I ordered from Fondant Source and the shipping wasn't that bad. Fondarific was around 29.99 and 2 lbs of was 6.49. This way I was able to get the best of both worlds and everything worked out perfectly.

This is what I'm actually thinking of doing icon_smile.gif Glad to know I'm not alone icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%