Meringue Powder And Royal Icing?

Decorating By cakeatopia Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 7:27pm by cakeatopia

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 4

Does MP ever go bad?

I have tried 3x to make my royal icing--MP and cream of Tartar froth up nicely and then when I put the p sugar in--it just does nothing. Vinegarred all the equipment. I have wasted enough sugar--ugh.

I am in TX so the humidity levels are HIGH. But htat has never effected it before.

The c of t is new.

I fnally on hte other 2 batches--yes I did more--I just added more sugar and it set up better. Used it on cookies and was fine but that was a freebie. I have an order due this week and would like to know it will hold up and all. Yep, it would easier just to buy a new container than to use up all this sugar!!!

Any test?

3 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 4

Yes it can go bad if stored improperly. I'm assuming it was stored correctly.? Cool, dry place?

So, what exactly is your recipe? Make it all the time w/ meringue powder.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 4

Are you sure you're not using too much liquid? If adding more PS seems to "fix" the batch of icing, it seems like maybe you should try using less liquid to start with. (Or, try a new can of MP, but if that doesn't work, try reducing the amount of liquid.)

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 4

I was using Antonia74's recipe. I am leaning towards humidity and/or bad mp.
I will go buy some new stuff tonight and try. Thank goodness this order is only 3dozen by Wed.

ps THANKS A BUNCH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%