'a Slice Of Americana' Experiment, Input Needed.

Baking By SamyX Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 5:38am by JanH

SamyX Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 2

Where I live scratch or mix isn't much of a choice. Cake mixes are rare, ready made fondant or icing none existent and flavourings something i special order from a retro-flashy shop in the capital and worth it's weight in gold, quite literally. The cake tradition here consist of sponge cake with jam and custard between the layers, topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries or marzipan. Green marzipan, with a pink rose. Tasty, sure, but less interesting after the first two hundred times. American style wedding cakes have become somewhat popular but only as wedding cakes, and ordered through a few specialized bakeries. Even crisco have to be bought in one of the three major cities in the country and costs enough that I only use it to make MFF. What it would be with shipping from out of the country I don't even want to think about. So, scratch cake and imbc are just cheaper and simpler.

I am a foodie though, and love experimenting. So during the upcoming crisco run for my autumn cake needs I was planing to see what else the American import shop carries. I want to make a traditional wedding/party cake, using the recipes so many of you swear by. This is an honest attempt, I don't want to make an example of how horrid mix cake or shortening BC is compared to scratch. I want to sample the good stuff. This is an empirical study, not theory based, and I am ready to be wooed.

Only I have no idea where to start. Indydeb's BC seems to be popular, probably for good reason. And I assume a doctored cake mix would be the way to go. But which recipe? And which flavouring/s? If you could point to one slice of cake and say 'to me, this is the original/most typical/ultimate American wedding cake', what would it be?

The final result will be fed to starving Swedish students, probably during the upcoming WWII movie night. I'm sure they will be as grateful as I would for any and all help with the creation process. icon_smile.gif

1 reply
JanH Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:38am
post #2 of 2

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for American buttercream, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC with flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%