Ladybug Cake Help?

Decorating By jessica83 Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm by hollyml

jessica83 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any ideas for a 20 serving lady bug cake made with only buttercream?

7 replies
flamingobaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 8

The wilton large 1/2 ball pan serves 24 (I'm pretty sure)

Definitely use airbrush for the red & black.

Red & black icing = ick icon_lol.gif

Bskinne Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 8

I did a lady bug cake, it's in fondant with gumpaste ladybugs, but you could do the same sort of idea with piped red balls of BC for the ladybugs...and if you do black icing, start with chocolate BC.
You can see the cake at http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1741845.html

velcrostiletto Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 8

Ive also done a ladybug cake. It was buttercream for the cake itself, and then a rice krispie treat ladybug covered in fondant on top. Im sure you could do something similiar using 1/2 ball pan for the ladybug and covering him in b/c. There is a picture of mine in my photos- first one. Good luck!

tokazodo Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8

Here's my version. Don't let them scare you. I used mmf and I am very new to it.

For using butter cream, why not pipe red ovals/dots, and finish dressing them with smaller black buttercream dots/

Good Luck!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1753042⊂=1753044

jessica83 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for all the replies but what do i do if i do not have an airbrush?

flamingobaker Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 8

Wilton makes cans of spray color, but velcrostiletto's pink one is CUTE!
That solves the icky taste issue because then there is no red and not too much black.

hollyml Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

Use Americolor gels to color your BC and you won't need to use the spray. I've done quite a few cakes frosted in bright red, and never tasted the coloring. Black is a challenge but starting with a dark chocolate does help a lot. And actually, if you look at real ladybugs, often they're sort of dark blackish-brown on orangy-red. icon_smile.gif You can just use melted dark chocolate or ganache for the black parts if you want, without even coloring it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%