How Do I Approach This?

Decorating By Ashley0415 Updated 16 Aug 2010 , 12:48am by Lcubed82

Ashley0415 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 8

I was asked to make a sewing themed cake.. it will only be one layer.. like a 10-inch cake. All of the decorations seem a little overwhelming.. anyone have a plan of attack that would be easiest?

7 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 8

I would leave off the quilt/blanket for a single tier. The other things ... scissors, needle pulling thread, spools..... wouldn't be too bad to make. You could also do a trim/border that looks like stitches (think blue jean pockets, maybe?)

Price Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 8

Go into the photo gallery and search using the word sewing. You'll get lots of pictures to give you inspiration.

grams Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 8

You might also be able to find a candy mold for sewing struff.

Ashley0415 Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips.. sometimes I over think things and you all always seem to have the answer.. or just encouragement.

cake came out great! I posted it in my photos icon_biggrin.gif

khoudek Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 8

I made a topsy turvy sewing theme cake. It's in my gallery if you'd like to look at it. For the spools of thread: roll out a desired color in tube shape the dimension of a spool of thread. Make the thread lines with your wheel tool. Next cut out two flat circles a bit larger in diameter, in a different color, and adher one to the top and one to the bottom. For the thimble: take a small ball of gumpaste, make an opening and sort of tunnel ( does that make sense ) to a bell shape. Dust the inside with cornstarch and tuck a smigen of a cotton ball inside to keep it open. On the outside dot it with the tip of a toothpick. For the pincushion: roll out a tomato size ball of red, make grooves with your wheel tool, set thin rolls of green over these, meet them at the top. cut out the top green decorative piece using the rose stemen cutter. For the pins I cut jewelry wire and place a tiny ball of gumpaste on top of it. Scissors: I traced a pair I had and then used that as a template to cut the pieces out. Painted the silver part for the blades. Hope this is helpful and hasn't totally confused you.

Ashley0415 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 7:58am
post #7 of 8

Wow! your cake looks amazing!

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 8

Karen, your cake is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your design and details!

Quote by @%username% on %date%