What Size Cake?

Decorating By summersusu Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm by LisaPeps

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 4

What size cake pan would you use to cut out a flip flop that would feed 25 people? Also, what is your go to yellow birthday cake recipe that would hold up to this carving....I always use WASC and change the cake mix I buy but didn't know if there was a better bday cake recipe you used.

3 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 4

Are you wanting 1 flip flop or 2..You can carve 1 flip flop from a 9x13 slab and get about 20 servings but if you want a set of flip flops carve from 2-9x13 cakes...and get about 40 servings..You could always make them smaller by using a smaller pan like a 10 inch square etc but the proportions would look fairly small.I use any flavor the customer requests.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 4

A 9x13x3 (torted and filled twice) would be a good base as you could serve slightly smaller servings than with a 2in deep layer. You could get approx 38 servings from the full cake (2x1.5x3 = 9 cubic inch serving compared to a 2x2x2 = 8 cubic inch traditional sheet cake serving), so allowing for some loss with carving you should be good to go.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 4

This is good:

http://www.how2cakes.com/thongs.html

It looks like a 10" square, but you would need to print off the template twice and line it up on the back of your tin to know for sure.

I'm not sure how many they will serve, just enlarge the template with a photocopier to make it bigger or smaller.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%