Cake Fallen Apart

Baking By cakesbyprincess Updated 10 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm by kakeladi

cakesbyprincess Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

I am just starting out in making cakes. My first cakes was 10in and it was a better white cake recipe I got from this site. They turned out fine. Now my second time I made the same recipe but in the top two layers round cake pans by Wilton. I used crisco in the pan to coat it but when I removed it the cake fell apart. icon_surprised.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gif WHAT DID I DO WRONG? WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???? HELP! HELP! HELP!

4 replies
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 5

use pan grease to coat the pan and a waxed paper circle on the bottom of the pan.

Pan grease = equal parts veg shortening, oil and flour, whipped until creamy.

catlharper Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

Also remember to level the dome off the cake. If you just turn it over onto a wire rack that dome is going to push back up and break apart the cake. So trim it off then it will sit flat on the cooling rack. Cat

cakesbyprincess Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks today im back in kitchen and trying it again!!!!

kakeladi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

.......... level the dome off the cake..............

If you bake at lower temps - like 300 or 325 degrees - for a bit longer (until you can smell that great aroma in the next room) it will bake up nice and level without that hump to worry about. This will give you a moister cake also.
If the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan it is overbaked. As soon as you start to smell it baking, turn the oven off and let it sit in the hot oven for maybe 5 minutes. Check by lightly touching the center of the cake. If it springs back even a bit it is done and needs to be removed from the oven to a cooling rack. After cooling about 10 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto the cooling rack. Let cool there about 10-20 minutes before wrapping in a plastic bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%