First Wedding Cake, Please Help!

Decorating By LaurenBaker Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 4:23am by LaurenBaker

LaurenBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenBaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:02am
post #1 of 24

I'm making my first wedding cake in a couple weeks for a friend of mine. I have done a tiered cake before, but it was just a small 2-tier cake. The bride wants a 3-tiered cake to feed about 100 people. I've looked at charts but I'm still a little confused on what size pans I should use. I don't think she wants to keep the top tier, so that makes a difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

23 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 8:50am
post #2 of 24

Here's a link that gives you pan sizes and how many "wedding" sized pieces (1" wide x 4" tall x 2" deep) can be served from each pan size: http://www.beautifulcakesandbridals.com/FAQ.html
Here's another excellent link for Cake Serving Size Samples that you can print out on paper: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6895971.html#6895971

If it was me, I'd make a 14" bottom, 12" middle, and 10" top. I too have only made a few two and three tier cakes and recently cut a 3 tier fondant over BC cake I made for a funeral reception (my first time cutting one of my cakes). Unless a professional caterer who has cut a LOT of cakes is cutting, it is hard to get a nice looking 1" wide x 4" tall x 2" deep piece of cake, especially with fondant!!! (The fondant crushes the softer cake beneath as you are cutting it.) It is much better to have TOO much wedding cake than too little, and if someone is cutting who cuts the pieces too large, you are in trouble. Personally, I don't know how anyone could cut a nice 1"x4"x2" slice out of a fondant covered cake.

Another CC suggestion (I don't remember who to give credit to) said she always bakes and boxes a 6" honeymoon cake to send with the B&G to eat on their honeymoon as a surprise. Perhaps you could make two extra 6" cakes, box them nicely and give them to the B&G as an extra gift; one for their honeymoon, and one to freeze for 1st anniversary.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:15am
post #3 of 24

If I was doing a cake to serve a 100 servings, I would do a 14, 11 (or 10) and 7.
The proportions always look better if you can have a size difference of at least 3" . I usually try to do a difference of 4".

I think a 10" top tier is way to large. Good luck!!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:26am
post #4 of 24

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/serving-amounts-100-150.cfm

a 12-10-8 will give 118 servings. a 14-10-6 will give 128 - can look better with the bigger difference between tiers as well.
a 14-12-10 will give 172 - do you think the bride will really want to pay *that* much extra? plus a 10 inch is a big top tier, even 8 inch is maybe a little big, most cakers prefer a 6 or 4.
(and square cakes gives different options too!)

it is not difficult to cut a nice slice of cake if you have the right knife, and know what your doing - which most professional caterers do. somewhere on here is a diagram of how to cut a cake properly - the grid pattern needed - some people print out a copy for who ever is cutting the cake.

part of your contract is 'cake X inches, X inches, and x inches will serve Y if cut properly (as per instructional sheet, if you include it). then if its cut improperly its nto your responsibility. there are some good draft contracts kicking round in the business forum and maybe the template gallery if you need them.
xx

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 24

6/9/12 = 102 servings. And yes, 10" is way too big for a top tier on a tiered cake. If the florist is providing a floral topper, s/he will expect a 6" top tier. It's standard, unless you tell them otherwise.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 24

My apologies, OP, for some reason I was thinking you were providing the cake at no charge (I must have been reading a similar forum where a woman was baking the wedding cake for a friend as her gift to the friend). After I woke up this morning, I hurried to check this link because I wondered if I was way off with a 10" top tier; I was. See, OP, I learned something too!

Darn, but this cake making is complicated stuff. I wish you well with your first wedding cake. Please post a picture in this forum and let us know how it came out and how you did the cake. Thanks

LaurenBaker Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:02am
post #7 of 24

Thanks everyone for the help! I'm excited to get started! And I will definitely post pictures icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:45am
post #8 of 24

I made my brother wedding cake a couple of months ago for the same amount of people. They didn't save the cake topper as I told them that I would make them a fresh cake for their anniversary next year. I made a 12,9,6.

LaurenBaker Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I made my brother wedding cake a couple of months ago for the same amount of people. They didn't save the cake topper as I told them that I would make them a fresh cake for their anniversary next year. I made a 12,9,6.

I believe that's what I'm going to do...thanks! icon_smile.gif

LaurenBaker Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 24

Made the cake this weekend and it went pretty well! There are some things that I think could have been better, but considering it was my first wedding cake (and only my second attempted tiered cake) I was pretty happy with it. And the bride loved it!

LaurenBaker Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 24

I'm having trouble uploading a picture, but hopefully it'll be up soon so you guys can see it. icon_smile.gif

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBaker

I'm having trouble uploading a picture, but hopefully it'll be up soon so you guys can see it. icon_smile.gif

CC has had ongoing problems w/attaching pics to the forums. If you add the cake to your gallery pics, you can post the link here so we can see the cake.

Congrats on surviving your first wedding cake.

Kristy

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 24

I agree with ramacake. 10" would be very large for a top tier.

LaurenBaker Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:

CC has had ongoing problems w/attaching pics to the forums. If you add the cake to your gallery pics, you can post the link here so we can see the cake.

Kristy

I tried that several times, and I'm not even able to do that. It keeps saying "the specified photo does not exist". Strange.

KJ62798 Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:

Kristy

I tried that several times, and I'm not even able to do that. It keeps saying "the specified photo does not exist". Strange.

It did that to me once over the weekend. I refreshed the site & tried again and then it work. CC has been VERY weird lately from a tech standpoint.

K

LaurenBaker Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 24

Finally got the picture uploaded! I'm still having trouble posting it as an attachment, but here is a link to it...let me know what you think! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1786320

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 24

I think it looks lovely icon_smile.gif You did a great job!

KJ62798 Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 24

Very nice. Love the dark burgundy color.

Kristy

LaurenBaker Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:09am
post #19 of 24

Thank you! Yes, I did really like the color. It matched perfectly with the color of her bridesmaids dresses! I did have some problem with the ribbon though. If you look at the picture, you can see that the ribbon got pretty spotty. The grease from the icing soaked right through the ribbon...once I got it to the venue and put it together I had to wrap around a few more layers of ribbon. I know that probably wasn't the best thing to do, but I was short on time and getting nervous so I thought that was my only solution at the time. Even with several layers of ribbon, it still soaked through. What can I do to prevent that? I thought about maybe lining the ribbon with parchment paper next time...

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:11pm
post #20 of 24

Nice job! thanks for sharing the pic!

LaurenBaker Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:03am
post #21 of 24

Thanks!

Any advice/suggestions about my ribbon fiasco?

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:06am
post #22 of 24
Quote:

Thanks!

Any advice/suggestions about my ribbon fiasco?

i've seen some people on here recommend that you iron wax paper to the back of the ribbon to provide a grease proof layer b/t the ribbon and the BC! HTH

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:20am
post #23 of 24

I had the same question a couple of weeks back as I was making a SMBC cake with ribbon and was concerned with soaking. I would have loved to hear about the wax paper, but noone mentioned that last time. What they did say was to wet the ribbon, take as much water out of it and then place it on the cake and I have to say it worked, water is a natural repellent to fat. HTH

LaurenBaker Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #24 of 24

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try the wax paper thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%