3D Tooth

Decorating By crism5 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm by crism5

crism5 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 6

If anyone has searched flickr for cool fondant cakes you know how many neat pictures are posted there. Unlike cc you don't get much instruction or help on construction of cakes. Anyway, I came across a 3D molar. The thing is actually "standing" on the "roots". I really, really want to make this cake for work (I am a dental hygienist). My boss has already asked me to make cupcakes for the doctors that refer to us as a "thank you". SO, I thought for my fav orthodontist I would make this cake and put ortho brackets on it with fondant. I would post a pic but I'm not sure how to give credit since the posting on flickr is just a user name. Has anyone seen it or does anyone have any ideas on the support system or construction? TIA!

PS Since I'm not sure on copying and pasting the pic I thought I'd give the info in case anyone had time to look, The name is Tooth Cake by SmallThingsIced.

5 replies
Doug Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 6

easy...

build a base using short dowels to hold up a masonite board.

RKT under to make the roots (one dowel inside each root)

cake layers on top stacked and carved.

(this link gives idea of stacking -- yours would differ in that no cake on as bottom layer -- dowels and RKT instead:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-24984-tooth.html )
LL

casme Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 6

Once again Doug has great ideas.

shawneen Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 6

I can't wait to see how this turns out. I bring most of my cakes when I'm trying out new techniques to my work (a dental school) and I would love to bring in something like this someday.

crism5 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 6

THANKS Doug!! When I was writing this I KNEW if anyone knew how you would just from reading other posts you have posted! I tried it once and it all fell apart so I took it to work and called it my dump cake cause it was in pieces!! I'm trying this weekend!!

crism5 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

THANKS Doug!! When I was writing this I KNEW if anyone knew how you would just from reading other posts you have posted! I tried it once and it all fell apart so I took it to work and called it my dump cake cause it was in pieces!! I'm trying this weekend!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%