Rice Krispie Treats? Tricks To The Trade??

Decorating By billie1971 Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm by TickeyT

billie1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billie1971 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:45am
post #1 of 13

ok i tried to use rice krispie treats to make a deer yesterday and it was a disaster....1st the ears fell apart and then the head just split it half. i tried to press them together really condensed..what is the trick? any suggestions?

12 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:17am
post #2 of 13

Sometimes if I need something really stable, I use melted candy melts instead of rice krispies. I just melt them and stir in the cereal. When it cools, it's a little more stable than the marshmallow recipe.

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 13

what a great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for sharing, I am planning to experiment with cereal treats next week and I've been wondering about adding something to them more durable.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #5 of 13

I hate RKT. I attempted using them, made two different ways for a 3D cake I made this weekend. I resorted to making modeling chocolate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:57am
post #6 of 13

When I use RTK for sculpting I adjust the recipe. I make a double batch at a time.
12 cups of rice krispies (I use my hand to crush them after I measure them out into my bowl. I just grab a handful and squeeze them until they are no longer puffed)

4 tablespoons real butter
72 large marshmallows

fewer marshmallows and less better plus crushing the cereal makes them easier to manipulate and mold into shape.
You can also reheat them in the microwave when they are too difficult to form into shape.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 13

My hands still hurt from trying to form them. I don't know if I'll ever try it again. Totally gun shy after this weekend

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 13

I've added white chocolate tot he recipe (standard recipe) to add more stability, and it works great (got the tip from CCers!). HTH!

billie1971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 13

one last question..if I add candy melts to it can it be molded at all? I think crushing them up and doubling batch sounds great!!! i am a little gun shy now though!! I spent 16 hours working on that deer head trying to get it to stay together =-( ended up scultping it out of foil and covering with buttercream with only an hour left before the party and wasnt happy that it wasnt edible but hey it was a finished cake..lol

billie1971 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 13

thank you everyone for letting me know i am not the only one and for the wonderful suggestions..my future with rice crispies is shaky. lol

mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie1971

one last question..if I add candy melts to it can it be molded at all? I think crushing them up and doubling batch sounds great!!! i am a little gun shy now though!! I spent 16 hours working on that deer head trying to get it to stay together =-( ended up scultping it out of foil and covering with buttercream with only an hour left before the party and wasnt happy that it wasnt edible but hey it was a finished cake..lol

My double batch recipe uses less marshmallows and butter than the original. I made two or three batches before I got the perfect consistency to use for sculpting. I counted out the marshmallows to make sure I had the recipe 'just right'. You can also reheat them in the microwave just a bit as you go to keep them pliable. I actually liked the taste of the RTK's made with the crushed cereal. It was denser and more 'compact' which I loved.

Once I finished sculpting my figure I painted on a thin coat of melted chocolate.....I suppose you could use candy melts as well....to give them a smoother finish for covering with fondant. Worked great.

mamawrobin Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegroove

My hands still hurt from trying to form them. I don't know if I'll ever try it again. Totally gun shy after this weekend

You can reheat them (I ask this question and a very nice cc member told me that I could icon_biggrin.gif ) as you are working with them to keep them pliable. I don't think I'd been able to complete my figure if not. I had to do an entire cake out of RTK's and it was a very large 'cake'. I used three double batches of RTK's to make the 'cake'.

TickeyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickeyT Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for all the helpful info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%