How To Make A Bowling Ball Cake?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:53am by bmoser24

mom2my3girlz Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 4

How can I make a bowling ball cake. How to get it to sit up and how to cover it in fondont?

3 replies
karateka Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:16am
post #2 of 4

I did one once by making several round cakes and stacking them, then carving out the sphere.

I put a cardboard round and some support about halfway up.

Covering it was interesting...I had seams but was able to hide them really well due to the fondant I was using. It really is forgiving of fixing seams and dents and tears. I use Albert Uster's Massa.

Check it out in my pics if you want. It had a bowling pin, too.

I saw on "Fabulous Cakes" that it helps to cut a half sphere out of cardboard so you can use it as a template for carving....I just used my eyeballs.

bchumley Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:35am
post #3 of 4

don't know how big you need it, but i've never had a problem making spheres from the wilton sports ball pan set.

bmoser24 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:53am
post #4 of 4

I saw on tv someone made a globe (round) by useing half styro-foam then carving a cake to complete the top half. BC the whole thing, and fondant...that took 2 ppl and looked the most difficult. I think i would use a MMF w/chocolate in it to help with smoothing creases at the bottom(that looked like it took some work) and would plan on some sort of deco at the bottom around the ball incase you needed to cover a problem. Never done it myself, but this is how i would. I usually do well trying things because i really research it first.
PS. you can use a cardboard template from the styro, like a halo, to get the arc the same on the cake. Hope that makes sense.
Have fun & post pls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%