Light Cream??

Baking By krysoco Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm by krysoco

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 10

When using a recipe that states "light cream", what is it referring to? Sour cream, whipped cream, ???
Any help would be appreciated. TIA

9 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 10

Light cream is sold with the half & half and heavy cream. It can also be labeled as table cream. I almost always substitute with half & half just because I always have that in the fridge for my coffee icon_wink.gif.

krysoco Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 10

ok, great. thx

krysoco Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 10

Ok, went to Wal-Mart today. Not even going to mention the craziness there! BUT they didn't have anything labeled "light cream" next to half & half or heavy whipping cream. I decided upon Fat Free half & half after much deliberation. Does anyone know if this will work in substitution?

Thx!

krysoco Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 10

No one knows???

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 10

I think it depends upon what you are doing with it. If it is a cake ingredient, it probably will substitute for light cream. If you need to whip it, it won't work. Half and half doesn't whip. HTH

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

I doubt if it's for whipping; I don't think light cream will whip either and that's what the original recipe called for.

Sorry, I don't know if the fat free half and half will work or not. Is that even a real dairy product or is it just another name for coffee creamer?

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 10

Fat Free 1/2 and 1/2 is a dairy product, not a coffee creamer.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 10

In my grocery store light cream is just cream. There is heavy whipping cream, cream, coffee creamer, and half and half all next to one another.

The fat free would have more sugar in it. whether or not it works is definitely gonna depend on what it is for.

krysoco Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for all the info. I looked in that section. So either they were out of that particular product or they don't carry it.
Haven't worked much with creams so I'm in uncharted territory! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%