Kitchen "staples" For Experimenting

Decorating By crism5 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 1:17am by crism5

crism5 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

So I made my first homemade cake, bc and MMF about 4 months ago. I'm having so much fun, strictly hobbyist! I found a yellow cake recipe that my fam and friends love but I want to try soooo many things I see on cc! I was just curious to see what everybodys kitchen staples are. I have my fav "tools" for decorating but when I look at new recipes I think " dang I wish I had some....". Are there any flavorings or staples that a hobby cake baker should not be without when experimenting with new recipes? TIA!!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 9

It's been a long time since I looked at a recipe for a baked good and thought, "I wish I had some..."

Here's what I keep on hand all the time, other than the basics like eggs and flour:
Unsalted butter
Cream cheese
Sour cream
Sugar-brown, white, and powdered
Extracts-vanilla, almond, lemon
Yeast (not a cake thing, but I make bread and rolls too)
Cinnamon
Cocoa powder
Chocolate chips
Baking chocolate

Elcee Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 9

All of what Texas_Rose listed plus:

double acting baking powder (keep an eye on the expiration date)
baking soda
powdered buttermilk (also as an expiration date)
vegetable oil
shortening
nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
shredded coconut
molasses
corn syrup
ginger
nutmeg
cloves (ground and whole)
Phyllo (in the freezer)
additional extracts like rum, lemon, etc.
graham cracker crumbs

Good grief, no wonder I feel like I can't fit anything in my cabinets! icon_lol.gif

crism5 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 9

Well so far I'm doing better than I thought. I need to branch out on my flavor extracts. As far as the chocolate chips, I have to hide those or the kids and hubby will tear them up before they ever see a cake!!

Kissycake Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 9

LOL I have to hide my chocolate chips too - mostly from my hubby though.
I agree with all of the above and the only thing I can add is powdered coffee creamer. I use SugarShack's buttercream recipe and I make a lot of it. I usually buy the bulk size CoffeeMate.
Oh, and miniature marshmallows for making MMF! ( I have to hide those too - from the kids!!) icon_lol.gif

crism5 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 9

Lucky for me, my kids are sick of mini marshmallows!!

deMuralist Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 9

I keep a separate area that is strictly for caking, and everyone knows they better keep away. I also keep goodies in their area so they are constantly begging for the caking stuff.

PiccoloChellie Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 9

The above lists are perfect. The only thing I could add is to keep more powdered sugar than you think you'll need - I'm constantly running out of it. The first time my OH and I went grocery shopping "together" he thought I was INSANE for tossing 10lbs into the cart. Yeah, blew through that for one moderate-sized cake between the buttercream & MMF. icon_lol.gif

Hide your chocolate chips in the back of the freezer. thumbs_up.gif

crism5 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #9 of 9

OOOOHHH!! Great idea...hiding choco chips in the freezer! I have the powedered sugar part covered, literally! I have a big airtight storage container for sifted ps and then extra bags are loaded in my pantry! I used commercial fondant for the first time the other day and it worked so well that I am leaning a little towards using it more because my mmf is hit or miss. I think that may be more costly though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%