Gumpaste And Fondant On Cakes In High Heat And Humidity

Decorating By swapnilgupta Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 5:49am by mamawrobin

swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 5

Hi ALl,

I have just moved to Columbus,IN from Denver,COlorado...Two extremely opposite weather conditions. All my gum paste flowers are drooping .I tried the oven light method and was able to save them.But i am wondering
How will fondant on cake react in such conditions?I use the MFF recipe...should i make any changes to that?Also can i refrigerate my fondant covered cake in such humidity?
how do i dry my gumpaste figures and figures?will they not start wilting once I put them on the cake?

ANy help is greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 5

I live in Arkansas and the humidity here is horrible. I use Michele Foster's fondant but I don't have any issues with it and I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe which is very heat and humidity 'friendly'. I NEVER refrigerate a cake. Did once and had issues. The humidity isn't as much of an issue if the cake is kept at room temperature. For me anyway.
I also use the oven light method for drying my gumpaste. Once it's dried I don't have any problems with it. I made a fondant/gumpaste bow in April mixed it 50/50 and after 5 days it still wasn't dry. I use more of a 30/70 mix in the hot months for my bows and figures.

ashlynsbowtique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlynsbowtique Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I live in Arkansas and the humidity here is horrible. I use Michele Foster's fondant but I don't have any issues with it and I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe which is very heat and humidity 'friendly'. I NEVER refrigerate a cake. Did once and had issues. The humidity isn't as much of an issue if the cake is kept at room temperature. For me anyway.
I also use the oven light method for drying my gumpaste. Once it's dried I don't have any problems with it. I made a fondant/gumpaste bow in April mixed it 50/50 and after 5 days it still wasn't dry. I use more of a 30/70 mix in the hot months for my bows and figures.

Do you have a link to that buttercream recipe? I'm really new to cake decorating, but I did a practice fondant cake a few days ago and it turned out great...but after sitting on the counter for about 2 hours I came home to the sides drooping!! I had to pop holes in it and smooth it out again then I stuck it in the fridge and it was fine from then on...but I hear you shouldn't refridgerate fondant. Oh, I live in Louisiana...

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 3:57am
post #4 of 5

I always make figures out of gumpaste and have never had a problem with them melting once they get hard. I do however always make my figures at least a week before I need them so they have plenty of time to dry.I have some that are 3 years old (saved them for my grandsons) and they still look great. I live in Missouri and the humidity is horrible here and I still have never had an issue with it. I do however allow all my gumpastse figures to dry sitting on a styrofoam board for a week. This allows for air to reach all areas. Hope this helps.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlynsbowtique

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Do you have a link to that buttercream recipe? I'm really new to cake decorating, but I did a practice fondant cake a few days ago and it turned out great...but after sitting on the counter for about 2 hours I came home to the sides drooping!! I had to pop holes in it and smooth it out again then I stuck it in the fridge and it was fine from then on...but I hear you shouldn't refridgerate fondant. Oh, I live in Louisiana...

You can find Indydebi's bc recipe in the 'most saved' recipes here on cc.
It will hold up to extreme heat and humidity I guarantee. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%