Hobby Baker

Lounge By mamawrobin Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm by tesso

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 14

I am now a full time hobby baker. My boss is closing her doors after 29 years and 10 months. I have been struggling with whether or not to keep my job because I've only been getting to work about 3 days a week for the past couple of months. Business has been very slow for about 3 months now. We do not have another custom shop in town but we do have Wal-Mart, the grocery store and a few illegal bakers.

I've ordered some new dummies and I'm ready to learn some new techniques. Who knows...with some practice I may even enter a contest.

13 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 14

I'm sorry your job is ending. It seems you're looking forward, and that's great. Your work is a testament to your skill, so keep plugging away. Maybe another opportunity will open up for you.

BTW, I tried your chocolate cake recipe this morning; it was cool(er) here so I thought it would be a good time to bake! Yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 14

mamawrobin. I'm sorry to hear that...for you and your boss. I hate that small businesses have such a hard time in our "chain" society icon_sad.gif. Is your state an easy to get legal one?

mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

mamawrobin. I'm sorry to hear that...for you and your boss. I hate that small businesses have such a hard time in our "chain" society icon_sad.gif. Is your state an easy to get legal one?

No Elcee it isn't. Arkansas doesn't license home bakers. I feel bad for my boss as well but she's been thinking of retiring for a couple of years now, so it's actually a good thing for her. I would definitely think twice before I opened a shop...it's hard to compete with the 'chains' and illegal bakers as well. We live in a very small town and people will choose an illegal that charges $45.00 for a two tiered cake before they will order from a bakery that charges twice that much.

I'm going to work on my skills and I would love to get good enough to enter a competition. I don't feel like I'm quite good enough to do that yet but with practice I could see that happening.

I still have my family to make cakes for...which will keep me plenty busy.

Poosmomma..glad you liked the chocolate cake...it's one of my favorites.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 14

This might be the perfect opportunity for you to buy out your retiring boss... have you considered talking to her about that option?

Elcee Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I'm going to work on my skills and I would love to get good enough to enter a competition. I don't feel like I'm quite good enough to do that yet but with practice I could see that happening.

I still have my family to make cakes for...which will keep me plenty busy.

This is what I do, competitions and for friends and family and it certainly keeps me busy. Right now I am working on gumpaste flowers for a cake for my state fair. This week I'll be doing "happy first day of school" cookies for my coworkers, then my own (over the top icon_wink.gif) birthday cake and the following week a cake for my mother best friend's birthday. The fair is right after that and then it's my DD's birthday.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 14

That's a shame about your job, and the lady having to close the business. She did very well keeping it open for such a long time though!
And your family is going to be feeling mighty lucky having you around even more to bake for them.
If you are going to learn some new techniques, you could take it upon yourself to post your findings on here and we can all learn some new stuff thumbs_up.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 14

I'm sorry to hear this too! But hey, that makes more time for you to talk on the forums! :] jk jk

I know that you will continue to hobby, I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

mamawrobin Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 14

Thanks to everyone that has responded. I am looking forward to spending more time on cc...don't know how that will be possible..seems like I'm here an awful lot anyway icon_lol.gif I am really looking forward to learning (or trying to learn) new techniques and perfecting my skills as a decorator. I am really interested in entering competitions and taking this to the 'next level'. I don't really know if I have what it takes but I'm willing to give it a shot anyway. I'm an "ok" decorator but I would love to be and "awesome" decorator. icon_lol.gif If I'm not doing this everyday as a job I think I'll enjoy learning and trying new things.

CWR41..yes I did consider buying her out but I don't know anything about running a business. I would love for someone else to buy it and hire me to work for them. I just want to decorate cakes. I have no desire to own my own business.....right now anyway.

Elcee...I'm also entering a cake in the fair this year. My daughter's birthday is Sept. 18 and she will be 21 this year so we are going to have a big bash with a big celebration cake. I do have plenty to do to keep me busy!

Hubby's check pays the bills and puts groceries on the table. I may have to do without a new pair of shoes or two but financially I'll be ok. Of course I'll miss the extra income but I won't be missing out on decorating. I ordered several new dummies last week so I have plenty to do.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #10 of 14

Good luck with whatever future opportunities that may come your way, and enjoy your time off for now!

mamawrobin Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 5:38am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Good luck with whatever future opportunities that may come your way, and enjoy your time off for now!

Thank you. thumbs_up.gif

SweetPatsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPatsy Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 7:06am
post #12 of 14

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you enter into your first contest!

Elcee Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Elcee...I'm also entering a cake in the fair this year. My daughter's birthday is Sept. 18 and she will be 21 this year so we are going to have a big bash with a big celebration cake. I do have plenty to do to keep me busy!

Wow, my daughter's birthday is September 15th...she'll be 24 this year icon_smile.gif.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 14

I am so sorry. But I am looking forward to talking to you more on CC icon_biggrin.gif

Chin up dear, when one door closes..you know the cliche. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%