Thoughts On Making This Mule (Atv, Not Animal) Cake?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 3

My brother's sister in law asked me to make a mule (see picture) cake for her son's birthday. It needs to feed about 10 people (extra is fine). I am trying to decide whether to try and carve the mule out of cake or have a cake with a rocky terrain and make the mule out of fondant/gumpaste. I am afraid that if I were to carve the mule out of cake there really will be no cake left once I am done carving as the mule doesn't really have much substance to it. Any thoughts about carving it out of cake or making it out of fondant so it looks realistic would be welcome!

2 replies
Doug Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 3

if you carve out of cake:

cake board is the floor board, then only have cake at engine, first bench seat and back seat area. -- can be a lot of cake depending upon size (like if make it so it's a full 9" wide for example each section would be a good 4" tall)

confectionsofahousewife Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your response Doug! I was hoping you might have some insight. So if I made the vehicle a full 9 inches wide you think it would be enough cake? Here are the dimensions of the real vehicle:
length: 130.1 inches
width: 58.5 inches
height: 75.8 inches (assuming this includes the roll cage)
wheel base: 85.2 inches

Based on those numbers and making the cake 9 inches wide, I come up with the cake being 20 inches long. Does that math sound correct?

Also, do you have any thoughts on how best to make the roll cage?

Quote by @%username% on %date%