post #1 of 13

Huge bubbel in my 8" fondant coverd cake icon_sad.gif
is the cake bad? how can i fix it? cake due 12am

Thanks

12 replies
Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:06am
post #2 of 13

Do you have a pic. The cake is not bad, you just have an air pocket under the fondant. Try poking it with and needle and then worked with your hand softly to help the air escape.

If the bubble is to large, this may not work. GOOD LUCK!!!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:08am
post #3 of 13

I am always afraid that more will pop up so I normally will just take the fonant off and re-do it.. have you decorated yet?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 7:26am
post #4 of 13

Yep poke it with a needle, get the air out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with the others that say "poke it with a needle".

gingersnapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersnapp Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #6 of 13

Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif i need to work on my fondant skills. i always seem to get bubbles on my cakes

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 1:33am
post #7 of 13

are you allowing your cakes to settle before covering them with fondant? that means filling them and crumb coasting them and letting it sit for a few hours or even over night...that always helps me cuz then I can fix any bulging before covering with fondant

gingersnapp Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 13

i use swiss buttercream for my cakes so when i go to cover my cakes in fondant, the cream smears all over the fondant that i can not remove and re roll. so no i dont think i am letting the cake rest long enough in the fridge before covering it. i will try that next time
thanks

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 13

What I have found helps is after you fill the cake but before crumb coating, take a pease of plastic wrap and lay it on the cake then take an extra cake round and lightly press the cake together (kinda like a sandwich). Work from the middle out. I think it helps to push any air out. Make sure to put the plastic wrap first or the top of your cake will stick to the cake board.

Hope that helps!!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Aug 2010 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1019

What I have found helps is after you fill the cake but before crumb coating, take a pease of plastic wrap and lay it on the cake then take an extra cake round and lightly press the cake together (kinda like a sandwich). Work from the middle out. I think it helps to push any air out. Make sure to put the plastic wrap first or the top of your cake will stick to the cake board.

Hope that helps!!!

i've never heard it done this way...but I think I'm going to try this the next time I cover my cake in fondant! thumbs_up.gif

gingersnapp Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 13

i will try that too, thanksicon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 13

Try leaving your cake out at room temperature after crumbcoating while it's settling. Often a cake will expel air or gas while it's coming to room temp so if you put the fondant on a cold cake you may get bubbles from it.

Cat

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 1:23am
post #13 of 13

I'm sure I'm to late to help....but in the future, take a pin and poke just a few holes here and there, in not so easy to see places. This should solve that from happening again. It did mine.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%