Coloring Duff's Fondant

Decorating By Jeep_girl816 Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 4:41am by Jeep_girl816

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so a few cakes ago, I needed black fondant for a family cake and didn't have time/patience to make my own so I used my coupon and bought some of Duff's. Well turns out my family, who doesn't like fondant, loved it and now requests it for all they're cakes. No big deal, it's actually easy to work with and I usually hoard coupons from Michaels; my dilemma is I need purple. So should I just buy white( i know it's more ivory, that shouldn't be an issue) and color it with lot's of purple or should I get the red and add blue and maybe some purple? It is spendy stuff so I don't want to get both and experiment but I really don't want a tubs worth of useless disaster fondant on my hands either icon_cry.gif , someone please give me some advice or even an opinion!!!!

4 replies
maddysmom2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddysmom2007 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 5

Duff's fondant comes in purple as well. A very pretty bright purple.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 5

I had this same issue (the cake is actually for next week, but I made the flowers a few days ago). I decided to buy the Duff red fondant and add blue coloring....but then decided against it since the Duff fondant is already hard to make flowers with without adding color (I found adding color makes it too sticky...however I don't cover cakes with it). Anyways, I used the red fondant and added some blue Wilton fondant that I had and it worked great. If you want to stick with the white fondant, Duff's 'electric purple' color is great. It's sold in the 4 pack sets next to his other stuff...it's the 'electric colors' set. I made the purple flowery cake using that color, and I really didn't have to add much at all.

maddysmom2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddysmom2007 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:36am
post #4 of 5

Duff's fondant comes in purple as well. A very pretty bright purple.

edited: no idea why that reposted!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #5 of 5

My store doesn't carry the purple, it has every dang color but! That would've made life so much less complicated too! I might just try to go with white and his purple, it is to cover a cake so it can be a bit softer than for flowers, I hope! I guess I'll have to try it out after all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%