Hello! Very New Here....questions!

Decorating By BethLS Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm by tastyart

BethLS Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hey folks,

Just want to say, how grateful I am to have found such a complete website that is all about cake. Its so fun and inspirational! (So much so that even though I dont have a cake due this weekend, I am actually craving cake!)

Ive been doing cakes now for about 7 years, and now am getting into the more "serious" cakes, and Im absolutely loving it. Ive even won a few competitions between this and last year. icon_biggrin.gif

My first question to you guys is, what do you all use for bases to your wedding cakes?

For example, I have this cake pictured (similar anyway) below, due at the end of the month. It will be 14, 10, 6. I already have my silver stand rented for that day (grumble) so, what else do you use? (Are the heavy duty "boards" you can buy for like 12$ useable? As in, will they hold under the weight?)

Also, my next question is, I am having trouble finding (Im SURE its out there, and my search capabilities are horrific!) is what cake prices are in the nasty economic climate that is Michigan, Lol. I am doing this cake at the discounted price of 1.75 a serving (remember the tier sizes!) but would normally charge 3.50$ a serving. Im just truthfully curious as to what others are charging, because I truthfully have no idea if Im comparable or competitive in this market.

Thanks!
LL

2 replies
catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome to CC...you will be hooked in no time! LOL!

As for your cake...I hardly ever do over a 3 tier so I use cake boards/drums for my bases. I do have solid wood drums that can hold up to a 5 tier but usually I use a foil covered pressed fiber board as my base and that works great.

As for pricing. It really DOES depend on your market. I charge beginning prices of $3 per serving for BC and $4 per serving for Fondant but I'm in No. CA near a city and near the Bay Area so I can get higher prices and my overhead is more here than say someone in a small town..

Hope this helps...and welcome again!

Cat

tastyart Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

I use plywood bases for my large cakes. I cover the plywood in foil, contact paper, or fondant. They are super sturdy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%