50Th Birthday Cake For Someone Who Is Down About Turning 50.

Decorating By eggsnbakin Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 12:34am by eggsnbakin

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 14

My dad turns 50 in September, and he seems to be having a tough time with it. We are having a birthday party for him, and I'm doing the cake.

I am definitely staying away from the black over the hill type things, and want to go in a positive direction.

Any cake ideas/party themes for this situation?

TIA

13 replies
mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 14

I would do something that reflects his hobbies and/or accomplishments thus far, and then maybe some goals or plans he has for the future? Let me illustrate this better: say on a three tier, on the first tier, did he play sports in HS, College, was he a boy scout, what was his first job? second tier, family (you are his greatest accomplishment), does he like fishing, camping, cars, current job... top tier, does he have travel plans in the future, is he building something like a car or a boat or a business, etc. I've seen a few cakes here that are similar to this, with a "road" wrapping up the cake and the mile markers 10, 20, 30 etc have fondant figures at each... I'll see if I can find a few. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 14

I am in the same boat! icon_lol.gif My dad is turning 50 on September 4th and instead of some over the hill cake I'm making him a Lombardi trophy on top of a Packer field because he is a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan! So, you could take something that he really loves and make it into a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

My theme is a Toast n' Roast...not for everyone. But, you could take that theme and make it into a "What a Wonderful Life!" and share a bunch of good memories and photos to help him realize how great his life has been and will be. This is JMO because this is what we are doing. and you don't necessarily have to have the cake match up to the theme icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 14

One of my favorite quotes: "Do not regret growing older. Tis a privilege denied many. - Anon.

On a more upbeat theme:

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

"We turn not older with years, but newer every day." - Emily Dickinson

"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old." - George Burns

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 14

If he's sensitive about it, why even mention the number?

It's a milestone birthday, half a century; and for many people emphasizes the fact that over half their life is gone. Just make him a cake without mentioning the number of years.
The people at the party will be mentioning it enough, anyway.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I was thinking the same thing. My parents both turn 55 this year, dad got a "Speed Limit Sign" (it's in my photos) and mom's getting a surprise party with all sorts of sweets in late September. Neither are concerned with getting older, but I'm not sure I'll put a "55" on my mom's cake(s) or not... everyone already knows why we're there, it's on the invite. icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I think this is the best advice.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 14

well, who about a peter pan theme.

after all isn't his motto (and mine too)

I may grow old, but I REFUSE to grow up.

then could even do a play on the:

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

that opens up a world of fun for the cake and gifts too.

such as:

everyone has to buy him a real, honest to goodness little boy's toy.

He gets to unwrap and be a kid for a bit

Then he takes the toys to a local shelter or hospital and gets to play Santa.

warm fuzzies all around.

-----
Of course he gets some big boy toy gifts too...could even do a matching kind of thing.

toy drill / real drill

toy car / real car (my friend just got a fire engine red convertible Mustang for her 60th b-day!)

sillymoo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillymoo84 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

well, who about a peter pan theme.

LOVE IT!!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 14

Sigh, you can all go ahead and slap me in advance because what I'm about to say is not going to be popular...

If he's down about turning 50 why, oh why, the big to do with a party and cake and all? Have you thought he may just want to let it pass quietly? I have 50 looming in just over a year and really, truly just don't want anything done about it. Please take your father's feelings into consideration when making these plans and if there's any chance a party will make him uncomfortable do something else! icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 14

I'm with you; many people don't like fuss at any birthday, let alone one they don't want to think about.

I keep having to tell people NOT to make a big deal about our milestone anniversaries - DH and I don't like big parties.
I suppose we'll need to suck it up for the 50th, but neither of us want the stupid thing. We'd rather just go off on a second honeymoon or something.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 14

My husband just turned 50 in July. The german chocolate cake in my pics is the cake I did for him. No "50" on it. Just emphasized his professional competence. He's in the legal profession. Then my onery kids blew it and had one of their volunteer fireman friends come in and light his candles for him; dressed in his bunker gear and complete with air respirator. Sometimes you just have to have a sense of humor. He forgave them and we all had a good laugh.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:01pm
post #13 of 14

I was bummed about turning 50 too. But my husband had a surprise party for me. Cake said "Fabulous and 50" all my friends & family were there and suddenly I wasn't so bummed anymore. I realized how blessed I was with a wonderful husband, children, family & friends! 50 turned out to be a wonderful year for me. My daughter got married and 9 months later she made me a grandma! So I think no matter what kind of cake you do(but you're right no over the hill cake) after it is over he will realize 50 isn't so bad.

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:34am
post #14 of 14

Our family has always celebrated birthdays, so I think if we just let this one pass quietly, he would be even more wary of it. We are having a party, he has lots of friends & family, also runs a small business where the employees are like family. So, there's really no way to just let it go.

On a Friday, we are doing the 'public' birthday party, for which I am doing the cake. I think I will make him a ball cap cake with an image transfer of the Bass Pro logo, as he is an avid fisherman/hunter, etc....still kicking around ideas, nothing is set. I may do cupcakes as well, in order to make sure there is enough to go around.

Then, for Saturday night; me and my sister have hired a private chef. She is going to prepare a 4 course intimate dinner for two at my parents house for them, incorporating a lot of his favorite foods. My dad is a very outgoing guy, but doesn't like much attention on himself, and he is the man who has everything and we never know what to get him. So, we thought this was a creative idea for his birthday and something we hadn't done before.

Lots of great ideas were given here, and we haven't set anything in stone yet, so things may still change a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%