Now I Need A Dome On This Cake....

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm by KayMc

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

The customer is an older lady who has a special request....

She wants a pound cake in a loaf pan with a round dome on top and sugar glaze...just like she remembers.

I have tried to bake it...and the top is flat every time..(just like I always get and wanted on my regular cakes!). Does ANYONE know how I can get a doctored cake mix to dome? Also, if you have a suggestion about the glaze I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

Well, I'm going to stick my 60+year-old neck out here and say that she remembers a scratch pound cake with a lemon glaze. I have never tried to make a pound cake with a doctored mix base - scratch is too good and too easy LOL! Check out this CC recipe - my DH's grandmother gave me almost the same recipe 40 years ago, and it was given to her early in her marriage, so it is a classic.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15856/cream-cheese-pound-cakethis

Many people like to pour a lemon glaze over the still-warm cake while it is in the pan. Just mix 1/4 cup lemon juice into 1 1/2 cups 10X sugar, stir until smooth, and pour over cake (do not poke holes in the cake!). Let cake cool in the pan and then turn it out. If your client does not like lemon, I guess you can use water instead of lemon juice. The above recipe will make several regular loaf pans. It domes nicely and forms a crust that usually splits. Good luck - it is eeeeeeeasy!

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 4

IBMOSER,

Thank you so much! I'm not that young myself! LOL! But I wasn't into baking back then...so I was trying to figure it out. I had done the glaze for my recipe but with a bit of vanilla...it was good..but not quite the same. I had began to think that maybe it was the emon I was trying to remember. Also....my doctored mix...is more light and fluffy than I remember from back in the day. LOL!

Thanks!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 4

I agree completely. Make a from-scratch pound cake. They are pure heaven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%