No Trans Fat, Is This My Problem?

Baking By sarahp7467 Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm by ptanyer

sarahp7467 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 4

I have posted a few things about my problems with buttercream. I was beginning the think it is all just the frosting maker (me) and not the recipes. I have used 4 different recipes including Indydebi's and none of them work for me. Just when I was about to give up, I read that sometimes the problem with soft bc is that the shortening has no trans fat..... Could this be my problem? I use Crisco, and it has no trans fat. I used IndyDebi's recipe last night, and although it went on pretty smooth, I took it out this morning to finish working on it and it started to melt in a few minutes. HELP, my problems with BC are stressing me out.

3 replies
in2cakes2 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 4

Go get yourself some trans fat shortenting!!! I use generic shortening with trans fat in indydebi's and it is great without the trans fats it is a mess.

PiccoloChellie Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 4

Indydebi's works just fine with the no-transfat Crisco. Are you adding the full amount of powdered sugar to that recipe?

ptanyer Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 4

I use non-transfat Crisco all the time when I make Indydeb's BC and I have never had it melt on me. Sometimes you may have to add more confectioners sugar depending on the humidty and the amount of liquid you are using. I don't refrigerate my cakes at all, so I can't advise how that would affect your icings.

My only beef with non-trans store bought products is that I don't think they have any flavor anymore - doesn't matter what it is, nothing seems to taste as good as it did before the non-trans became the rule icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%