Swarovski Crystals

Decorating By saberger Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have any experience using them on either cakes or gumpaste flowers? And do you know where to purchase them?

TIA

11 replies
saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 12

bump

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 12

Personally, I wouldn't put anything that wasn't edible on a cake but I am sure you can google "swarovski" and find tons of places that sell them.

Good luck.

saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 12

Well, I am more interested in using them in flowers than anything, but don't know the best way to do it. I don't like putting inedible items on cake either, but know that it has been done. Just want to be prepared.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 12

Check bead stores in your area. A lot of them carry Swarovski crystals and you can usually get them either loose or in small quantities to try out, or you can get them in bulk if needed. thumbs_up.gif

saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks Piccolo. Has anyone used them?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 12

I have used them. I love using them. but I also make sure that I am the one serving the cake. To make sure all are off it before being consumed!!

I get my crystals from http://www.firemountaingems.com/

I love that place. They are so great and shipping is only $5 no matter how much you buy. Also the more you buy the CHEAPER they get. I have literally saved hundreds of dollars compared to buying at michaels or hobby lobby.

Beware though!! Crystals are addictive!!

saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 12

How do you figure out pricing? The same way as any other item? How do you attach them on BC or on fondant?

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 12

I've done one cake with s. crystals (green & pink tiered cake in my photos). It is very beautiful to use them as centers for fondant flowers. I used gum glue (tylose & water) to hold the crystal in place in the center of the flower. I bought small, crystal rounds @ a local bead shop. I wanted flat backs, but they didn't carry those. I don't think that the craft shops have real s. crystal. Charge the customer the cost of the crystals.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 12

The Michael's in my area carries them...

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

How do you figure out pricing? The same way as any other item? How do you attach them on BC or on fondant?

take total price of purchase ( s&h) and divide by how many crystals in pkg and that is cost per crystal.

I use RI to attach crystals.

saberger Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%