I Need Help Quick!!!

Decorating By jaedei Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm by allaboutcakeuk

jaedei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaedei Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:44am
post #1 of 7

I just did a cake, covered it in fondant and everything. problem is, i "crumb coated" it with non crusting icing. the kind you buy from the store. am i going to have problems??? should I redo it?
thank you so much!!!

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 7

Nope..if you got it covered with the fondant and it wasn't still cold then you should be good to go. Watch it over the next 2 hours for any bubbles that may form but I think you'll be fine. Crusting BC is good because it goes really smooth and stays that way AND holds up under the heat better than non crusting. HTH..Cat

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 5:00am
post #3 of 7

I always make my icing but I think you should not have problems because the icing is used as "glue" to make the fondant stick to the cake and the one bought from the store should work as well. Anyway let us know if you have not any problem at all.

jaedei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaedei Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

thanks so much! before i read your responses, i was too worried, and redid it. UGH!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Nope..if you got it covered with the fondant and it wasn't still cold then you should be good to go. Watch it over the next 2 hours for any bubbles that may form but I think you'll be fine. Crusting BC is good because it goes really smooth and stays that way AND holds up under the heat better than non crusting. HTH..Cat

Can I ask a silly question on this? What is your difference between normal bc and crusting. I always use same recipe and it does start to dry but then obviously if I don't work fast enough its not "sticky" enough for the fonant to stick to it and I have to rework it. do you do 2 layers?
thank you

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

Something about the fat to sugar ratio is what makes it crusting or not crusting. As for me, after I let my crumbcoated cake settle I roll out the fondant, do a quick resmooth on my BC which moistens it just enough for the fondant to stick to it. I know other people who just use water on their hands or mist it on or use a simple syrup brushed on. Crusting BC is now my preference simply because it holds up under the heat...non crusting just melts.

Cat

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Something about the fat to sugar ratio is what makes it crusting or not crusting. As for me, after I let my crumbcoated cake settle I roll out the fondant, do a quick resmooth on my BC which moistens it just enough for the fondant to stick to it. I know other people who just use water on their hands or mist it on or use a simple syrup brushed on. Crusting BC is now my preference simply because it holds up under the heat...non crusting just melts.

Cat

that's great thanks Cat, as i say mine normally crusts after about 10 mins and rework but i wasn't sure if there was a different recipe. I normally double the icing sugar to whatever the butter content is so guess it makes mine a bit stiffer too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%