Italian Flavors?

Baking By mamamade Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm by mamamade

mamamade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamamade Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #1 of 10

I have my first taste testing for a wedding cake. The bride wants (as said many times) that she wants italian flavors and her husband wants chocolate and some sort of mexican flavor...Problem is: Mainly the italian flavors, what is the most common flavor and should I use the italian buttercream for the filling taste test? Sorry for such a long post, I'm just at a lost on this..

9 replies
Jesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesa Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 10

I always think of either tiramisu or cannoli for Italian flavors.

adikhawaja1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adikhawaja1 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:49am
post #3 of 10

Hi! maybe you can do an amaretto mousse or white chocolate mousse with crushed chocolate macaroons? just thinking of something that would be a little different, hope this helps =)

mamamade Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:55am
post #4 of 10

Thank you for the input..I just might try the cannoli and the amaretto mousse flavors. I think I am just so scared about having my first taste testing...I want to make it perfect for them..

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 10

How about mimicking these? Looks like almond/apricot/chocolate....

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/seven-layer-cookies/

A three-layer cake version of these cookies would rock.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 10

I live right in the heart of a giant Little Italy type italian neighborhood, filled with italian restaurants, bakeries and gourmet shops. I'll tell you that almond is definitely the main italian flavor in baking. As is Amaretto, which is similar to almond in flavor, but comes from apricot pits, I think. Anise is also a really big flavor in Italian baking.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 10

How about using spumoni ice cream as a inspiration? Chocolate, cherry, and pistachio...

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I live right in the heart of a giant Little Italy type italian neighborhood, filled with italian restaurants, bakeries and gourmet shops. I'll tell you that almond is definitely the main italian flavor in baking. As is Amaretto, which is similar to almond in flavor, but comes from apricot pits, I think. Anise is also a really big flavor in Italian baking.

Agreed. As well as cannoli filling. I grew up 2nd generation American, my grandfather and his siblings were born in Italy. All cakes at family events had cannoli filling. In fact, I never knew there was any other way to fill a cake until I was about 10.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:07pm
post #9 of 10

are you charging for this? just the italian flavours are starting to sound 'premium' rather than your basic recipes. and your not just going to be pulling a slice out the freezer or skimming off another batch.
something to think about... it could get pricey fast!
xx

mamamade Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you for the advice..I have never had a taste test before and told them if they decide to order, a non refundable deposit is due on the day of the tasting. If they decide not to go with me, there will be a fee...But I never thought about premium fees..I think if she does pick one of them, I will raise the price of the cake..

I am def. going to include Amaretto and Cannoli filling then..icon_smile.gif My (ex) mother in law called and told me about the almond flavor being her favorite..Her grandparents are from Italy. She also stated that an apricot preserve would be good as well.

Thanks everyone..Btw, those cookies look awesome dawncr.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%