Fondant Help Please - How Long Will This Take To Set

Decorating By megsandadam Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 4:14am by megsandadam

megsandadam Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:00am
post #1 of 7

Hi Guys,

I think this is my first post on here, but I am a longtime lurker!

I'm making a stacked present cake with a gift bow on top for tomorrow.

I added Gum Tex to the fondant and made my loops and set them on their side to dry, but someone just told me they take a few days to dry icon_cry.gif This cake is for tomorrow night, so needs to hae the bow assembled tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the drying process?

Megs xo

6 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 11:45am
post #2 of 7

Not really. You can try a fan as the moving air will help. Bows need to be made a week in advance and three weeks is fine too. Just saying there's no reason to wait until the last minute.

megsandadam Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your reply Leah.

I've just checked the loops and they seems to be hardening up pretty good, so I have everything crossed they won't collapse on me tomorrow. I did add double the amount of Gum Tex (called Gum Trag here), so maybe that has helped.

The cake is for my mother in law (just for a family dinner) so it's not giant crisis if the whole thing crumbles and we all have a laugh about it, but it's good to know for next time that I need to do it much more in advance.

Thanks again for your advice.

sweettreat101 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:15am
post #4 of 7

Place them in the oven with the oven light turned on. Oven off of course.

melissa0902 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:41am
post #5 of 7

I've never tried this, but a professional cake maker I chat with sometimes said she uses a food dehydrator to make her small fondant pieces dry out a lot quicker. I don't know how long she leaves them in there. Probably not something to experiment with on the last minute icon_smile.gif Good luck!! One day I'll find 4 hrs to watch my boxes and bows dvd. I don't know why those bows are so darn hard to me!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:44am
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Place them in the oven with the oven light turned on. Oven off of course.

this is what I do to, the the little bit of heat from the light on really seems to speed things along.

megsandadam Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your replies. I definately will keep that tip about putting thme in the oven with the light on for next time.

Luckily for me, they set really well over night. I'm not as happy with the cake as I thought I would be, I just need more practice I think.

Here's the finished product:

Quote by @%username% on %date%