Box Cake Substitute?

Baking By zespri Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm by windemire

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a method they use for substituting boxed cakes in recipes?

So for example the WASC recipe I keep seeing mentioned on here calls for two boxes of white cake mix (I've never tasted a white cake in my life, no idea what it is!). Would you just find a regular white cake recipe, and mix up the batter excluding the wet ingredients....?? As I type that it seems like a silly idea.

Does anyone know...? Boxed cakes are not commonly used where I live. The selection is limited, and I just generally would prefer to make things from scratch.

6 replies
nana_marta Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

zespri- I have no idea, but I am happy to give you a BUMP so maybe someone who knows will see this! Good Luck!!

carrywilsonhome Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

Trust me. Stick with what you know.

daintycakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 7

what makes a white cake white is the lack of egg yolks... or it would make it a yellow cake. It doesnt taste too much different. Just a little lighter. Im sure you can find a real good white cake recipe some where on the internet. icon_biggrin.gif

windemire Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 7

This is my go-to scratch WASC recipe. Bake at 350 or 325, depending on the size pans you use.

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, I didn't find this when I searched the recipes! I was just reading through the comments, do you find it crumbly when you bake it? And do you think it would be dense enough for carving?

Originally Posted by windemire

This is my go-to scratch WASC recipe. Bake at 350 or 325, depending on the size pans you use.

windemire Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

No, I've never had a problem with it being dry or crumbley; maybe those who had that problem are overbaking it?

It works great for carving and stacking. This is the base recipe I use for all my cakes.

Hope it works for you! Let me know what you think thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%