Box Cake Substitute?

Baking By zespri Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm by windemire

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a method they use for substituting boxed cakes in recipes?

So for example the WASC recipe I keep seeing mentioned on here calls for two boxes of white cake mix (I've never tasted a white cake in my life, no idea what it is!). Would you just find a regular white cake recipe, and mix up the batter excluding the wet ingredients....?? As I type that it seems like a silly idea.

Does anyone know...? Boxed cakes are not commonly used where I live. The selection is limited, and I just generally would prefer to make things from scratch.

6 replies
nana_marta Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

zespri- I have no idea, but I am happy to give you a BUMP so maybe someone who knows will see this! Good Luck!!

carrywilsonhome Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

Trust me. Stick with what you know.

daintycakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 7

what makes a white cake white is the lack of egg yolks... or it would make it a yellow cake. It doesnt taste too much different. Just a little lighter. Im sure you can find a real good white cake recipe some where on the internet. icon_biggrin.gif

windemire Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 7

This is my go-to scratch WASC recipe. Bake at 350 or 325, depending on the size pans you use.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/a-better-white-scratch-cake

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you, I didn't find this when I searched the recipes! I was just reading through the comments, do you find it crumbly when you bake it? And do you think it would be dense enough for carving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windemire

This is my go-to scratch WASC recipe. Bake at 350 or 325, depending on the size pans you use.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/a-better-white-scratch-cake

windemire Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 7

No, I've never had a problem with it being dry or crumbley; maybe those who had that problem are overbaking it?

It works great for carving and stacking. This is the base recipe I use for all my cakes.

Hope it works for you! Let me know what you think thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%