Sound Effects In A Cake

Decorating By lesa1 Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 12:27am by lesa1

lesa1 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

I will be making a R2D2 Cake this month. Huge cake. I want to add sound and lights. Has anyone done this before and could you help me.

6 replies
sweetnessx3 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 7

Way beyond my brain cells lol! Good luck though icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I read the topic, maybe a story of a belching cake from trapped air...??!! icon_wink.gif

I'm afraid I've never seen anything like it, nor do I have any ideas. But I wanted to encourage you to update this thread when you've done it with a photo.... it sounds intriguing!

sweetooth0510 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:15am
post #4 of 7

I haven't done a sound/light effect cake but had a few thoughts.

The lights could be done with those little battery operated fairy lights (don't know where you get them from in the US - probably walmart). You could talk to someone like the Teddy factory and see if they will sell you those little voice recording things that go into the teddies - you could then record R2D2. You would need to build a cavity into the back of the cake to put the batteries into so that they don't come into contact with the cake.

Love to see/hear how you get on.

cakesrock Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #5 of 7

I have successfully done lights in a few cakes by using those little battery operated LED lights, as a previous poster mentioned. They are ideal because they give off little heat and last for hours. I have even put the fondant covered light cake in the fridge overnight. You can get them in different colors and sizes (I bought them at Walmart). I wrapped it in saran wrap to avoid it contacting the cake. Check out my traffic light cake, my caving helmet cake, my stocking cake (no vacancy sign) and my glow worm cake. I put the light in the cake and turned it on and it lasted for over 24 hours and would have lasted up to 75, I believe....

As far as sound goes, I have never done that, but they did it successfully on an episode of "Ace of Cakes"- it was a robot. I believe you would need a remote set up. You could try to google that episode and check you youtube. Doug (cc'er) is also really good at that sort of thing - you could PM him...

Good luck!

Doug Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:08pm
post #6 of 7

simplest sound -- cannibalize a toy R2D2 for it's sound box.

next up -- the greeting cards that have a recordable sound chip in them that lets you create your own message (Hallmark)

after that -- you can go online and find all kinds of these chips from various hobby source sites.

ditto to LED lights or "grain of wheat" size lights. Battery powered.

Available all over the net.

BUT -- be warned -- vast majority will be labeled as hazardous due to California regulations on consumer product safety due to them having trace amounts of lead in the plastic that covers the wire. So, either try to find lead free (hard) or plan to cover the wires in plastic wrap or other food safe barrier.

lesa1 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the encouraging wishes and help. I may post a cake sometime this month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%