Help - Choc Frosting Disaster :(

Decorating By still_learning Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm by still_learning

still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #1 of 17

I tried a new choc frosting recipe and it's a complete mess. I didn't know choc could taste so bad! I am looking for a good choc frosting recipe that's kid-friendly (for an 8 yr old) and that doesn't require refrigeration. It's for a batch of cupcakes. I normally make IMBC but I wanted something sweeter for the kids and something they don't need to put in the fridge. Thanks for any help you can give!!!

16 replies
mamawrobin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:03am
post #2 of 17

My favorite chocolate icing that requires no refrigeration is Indydebi's bc with 6 to 8 ounces of melted UNsweetened Baker's chocolate squares added. I just make her recipe then add the melted chocolate. You also have to add extra milk because the chocolate thickens the buttercream. This is a very good chocolate icing , it's very dark in color and taste great.

ILoveDaffodils Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 17

I am a beginner and have tried a few recipes. My favorite so far is the recipe on the container of Hershey's cocoa. Easy and tastes very good.
I don't know for sure about the refrigeration part - I don't put the frosted cakes in the fridge and haven't had a problem.

nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 17

I always use melted chocolate instead of cocoa powder. It just tastes better to me. But that's just my personal opinion. And I add a LOT of chocolate to my regular buttercream recipe and it
always comes out great. Just be careful not to burn the cocolate, that's NOT a good taste (=

kansaslaura Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 17

Why don't you post the recipe you used, still-learning..maybe there is a way to save it.

cheatize Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 17

JeanneG's chocolate recipe on the Wilton site is excellent and easy.

still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 17

Thank you all for your replies! I can't exactly say what recipe I used because I've been adding this and that to try and improve the flavor and texture. It's better but still not something I'd serve. The ingredients are unsweetened choc (I used cocoa and shortening which I think is part of the problem), unsalted butter, heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. You are supposed to cook it to get rid of the raw taste of the powdered sugar which I did. I added a TON more powdered sugar because it wasn't sweet at all and them more heavy cream for texture and vanilla for flavor. I re-cooked it to deal with the raw/gritty ps taste but it's not very 'chocolatey'. It's sort of fudgy and sickeningly sweet but not yummy rich chocolate.

Of course need to make this tonight icon_sad.gif Saw a recipe for a chocolate syrup frosting. Has anyone tried that (it has good reviews). Do you think adding choc syrup to the mess I've made would help?

Thanks, again!!! I will check out the other recipe suggestions you listed - thanks!

nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 17

I've tried the chocolate syrup frosting and it's good. My kids LOVED it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:04am
post #9 of 17

Nickshalfpint - is the choc syrup recipe stiff enough to pipe a cupcake swirl? Thanks for your input. It's getting late and I can't stand another recipe disaster! At one point before I started added random things my icing actually look curdled - YUCK!

nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:45am
post #10 of 17

Yes. I used it for cupcakes for my kids birthday. It piped them beautifully!

step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 3:53am
post #11 of 17

if you're looking for something quick and easy you can make Ganache! All you do is heat up a cup of heavy whipping cream till it bubbles and pour that over a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and mix until everything is combined. It's soo easy and firms up very nicely in the fridge...everyone loves it icon_wink.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 17

How did everything turn out?

still_learning Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:17pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks to everyone for such quick replies. At 2 AM I finally tried the choc syrup recipe with just enough ingredients to make 1.5x batch. It was SO easy and pretty tasty, too. It's a great consistency for piping onto cupcakes. I think that will be my new choc frosting for kid's cupcakes from now on. Thanks for turning a disaster night into a success!!! You guys are the best icon_smile.gif

neelycharmed Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:29pm
post #14 of 17

Can you please share the recipe? and which brand of chocolate sauce did you use? icon_smile.gif I've tried one and it was really thin, but I think I used the wrong chocolate sauce.
please and thanks,
Jodi icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 17

This is my absolute favorite chocolate butter cream. I don't use the meringue powder or the liquer. I use milk or cream. If you cut the recipe in half one batch of ganache using one bag of chocolate chips, one cup cream, one tablespoon butter and a splash of vanilla is the perfect amount. The chocolate bassinet cake in my photos is frosting in this butter cream. So yummy. * 2 cups (1 pound or 454 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1/2 cup (115 grams) vegetable shortening
* 3 lbs (1.36 kilograms) 10X confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup (110 grams) Dutch processed cocoa powder
* 3 Tbsp meringue powder
* 1 tsp salt
* 5 fl oz (150 mililiter) chocolate liqueur (i.e., Godiva or another)
* 2 Tbsp milk
* 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
* 2 cups (1 pound or 454 gram) refrigerated Ganache

Read More

sweettreat101 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 17

Forgot to add it doesn't require refrigeration.

still_learning Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:24pm
post #17 of 17

Jodi - here's the link to the chocolate syrup frosting. It's on this site. I used Hershey's syrup and it was definitely not too thin. Btw - we have the same birthday icon_smile.gif

Sweettrat101 - that recipe looks yummy. I will have to try that soon. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%