I Am So Hating This Cricut Right Now.

Decorating By Arriva Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 1:06am by Btrfly578

Arriva Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 4

I have had minimal success with my Cricut since I purchased it, but today "takes the cake". I don't have time to mess with what fondant or gumpaste works best, so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a package of 3 frosting sheets for $15 and a bucket of their gumpaste for $11. I have ruined all three of the frosting sheets and have gotten one stinkin' 2" rose cut out.

3 replies
Eva2 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:39am
post #2 of 4

I did not think that I was going to get used to mine at first, I thought this was a waste of money. Now I love it. You have to freeze your gumpaste or fondant first. I roll it out on the mat, pop it in the frezzer for about 20 mins, than work fast with it. I keep mine on slow speed. I just did an under the sea cake and I am so happy that I had mine.

catlharper Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

Ok, there ARE tips to this thing to make it work right. For the frosting sheets you have to grease the cricut mat well and let them sit on the grease and soak it up for at least 5 mins. If it still lifts or cracks then grease the mat with more crisco and let it sit..smoothing the frosting sheet out so it adheres. If not then the frosting sheets will tear up.

As for fondant/gumpaste. What I do, and it works every single time now, is to mix in 2tbs of tylose with 1 cup off MMF and then roll it out to the thinness of a dime on a lightly greased cricut sheet. Then I let it sit out overnight..at least 12 hours...to set up. Then it cuts beautifully. The machine tips are important too...alphabets have to be 1 inch or larger and intricate designs 3 inches or larger in order for them to cut out correctly.

Keep trying ...it's SO worth it!

Btrfly578 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva2

I just did an under the sea cake and I am so happy that I had mine.

What a beautiful cake.

I don't have a Circut, but I'm in the process of purchasing one. I've heard bad things about them, but have also heard good things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%