How Do You Grease/line Your Tins?

Decorating By zespri Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm by ClassyCat

zespri Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 18

I always thought butter then flour was the accepted way to grease a tin, but I read somewhere on here that it could make your cakes tough on the edges. I wish I could remember where I read it (the search function errors when I use it).

If I'm remembering correctly, the post I read said use some kind of oil spray on the edges, and nothing else except for a ring of baking paper on the bottom.

At the moment I am buttering the whole tin, then putting baking paper on the sides and the bottom. Doing the sides is a pain (on a round tin), so I'd be happy to drop it if it worked! The only thing that bothers me is that my tin is aluminium, and I wonder if it leeches into the cake.

How do you do yours?

17 replies
yums Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 18

I use the homemade cake release or the Chefs and Bakers spray sold at Sam's Club. If it is a large cake 12" or up I line the bottom but never the sides.

awatterson Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 18

I make the cake release that is on this site. It is awesome!

BrightDelights Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 18

I use Bakers Joy spray from Walmart. Works like a charm and no need to line the pans either!

Amaranthine Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

Homemade pan grease cake release. One part flour, one part vegetable oil, one part shortening all mixed together. Works like a charm. Cake pops right out and looks perfect, no ragged edges or anything. I won't ever go back to the butter and flour method.

leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 18

Yep, homemade pan grease plus a waxed paper circle in the bottom.

mbark Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #7 of 18

I will definitely have to try the homemade pan grease. I recently tried the Pam for baking cakes and really like it though!

Maria925 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 18

I've been using the Bakers Joy spray and my cakes are coming out of the pan great!

crisseyann Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:54am
post #9 of 18

Homemade pan grease all the way!

mamawrobin Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:58am
post #10 of 18

Homeade pan grease and a wax paper circle in the bottom. Just like Leah.

Homeade Pan Grease'
1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 cup shortening
Blend with hand mixer until thoroughly blended and keep at room temperature in an airtight container.

I use a pastry brush to 'paint' it on the inside of my pans.

This is much cheaper than Bakers Joy and works just as well.

zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 2:44am
post #11 of 18

now I know what cake release is!! I feel like a dummy, you'd think the name would give it away icon_wink.gif Perhaps because I've seen so many new products in the past two months (when I started getting interested in cakes), that it's just slipped past me.

Thanks for the recipe guys, I'll give it a go!

Does anyone know how long it will keep?

AileenGP Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:44pm
post #12 of 18

I use a light coating of PAM spray throughout the pan and line the bottom with wax paper.

I only line the side (with parchment) if I want the sides to rise above the edges of the pan. I find that if I spray the pan before lining, the spray helps the paper stick to the pan while I'm filling with batter.

Has never failed me yet...

deMuralist Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 18

homemade pan release and parchment paper on the bottom. Love it.

When I have used Pam like products in the past they leave a weird burnt grease like substance on the pan where there was no food while it was cooking. Over the long run it really messed up the pans. Plus I don't love the idea of that being on the food.

frogcooke Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #14 of 18

quick little spray of cooking spray, like pam.

idgalpal Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 18

Light spray with Pam and line bottom with parchment circle

sweet_honesty Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 18

Homemade pan grease with waxed paper in the bottom.

ramie7224 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:23pm
post #17 of 18

I spray with Baker's Joy and if its a chocolate cake I also add parchment to the bottom.

ClassyCat Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #18 of 18

Great advice! I've always greased my pans thoroughly with Crisco and added 2 tbs of flour to coat. I've never had any problems with this method, but I can see why using the parchment circles would be additional insurance that my cake won't stick. I'd hate to have a big cake to make, only to have to re-do it because the top of the cake chooses to sticks to the pan on that day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%