1/2" Filling Between Layers?

Decorating By Dayti Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 12:57am by scp1127

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 5

So I was watching a couple of episodes of Cake Boss. My question is, how do they put what appears to be a 1/2" of filling between their layers, and not have it bulge out? I see the decorators use a huge star tip to make the dam, and then they throw in spoonfuls of filling/icing and level it out. I know they probably leave their cakes to settle after filling, but even so, when they put the fondant (fondont icon_rolleyes.gif ) on they get no bulging? How come?!
They also put a thick layer of buttercream under their fondant. My cakes don't look like that if I put that much on!

4 replies
karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

I hear you on the amount of filling. When I've tried that much filling (even with a really thick and sturdy filling) it continues to bulge for days!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 5

Perhaps Buddy Valastro is a lurker on here and he might pop in and tell us some secrets icon_biggrin.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

Perhaps Buddy Valastro is a lurker on here and he might pop in and tell us some secrets icon_biggrin.gif

He is a member, but hasn't posted in a long time...pretty much since his show got up and running.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

I try to look closely at the techniques used by the bakery. They can throw around large sheets of cake with just their hands and they don't break. The filling looks unusually thick and stiff too. I am sure his cakes taste good, but I bet the cakes and filling are very dense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%