Any Suggestions For This Wedding Cake?

Decorating By frankdiabetes Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 12:31am by iamcakin

frankdiabetes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 15

I'm to make a wedding cake for 300 people in August of 2011. The bride is a soccer player and coach and the groom is a professional photographer, and they want the figures of a soccer player and a photographer on the cake since they met on the field while he was photographing a game. The wedding colors are champagne and deep wine red. Since I'm doing this as a gift, I have 100% creative license, but I'm not sure how to incorporate everything and still have it look good.

Any ideas on how to execute this would surely be appreciated! Thanks.

14 replies
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

I'm to make a wedding cake for 300 people in August of 2011. The bride is a soccer player and coach and the groom is a professional photographer, and they want the figures of a soccer player and a photographer on the cake since they met on the field while he was photographing a game. The wedding colors are champagne and deep wine red. Since I'm doing this as a gift, I have 100% creative license, but I'm not sure how to incorporate everything and still have it look good.

Any ideas on how to execute this would surely be appreciated! Thanks.

Have you decided on the cake icing colour yet? You could do the couple as cake toppers, sitting on the edge of the top tier. You could have her in a soccer strip - of deep wine red and champagne and him in an outfit of co-ordinating colours. She could have a veil and him a top hat? He could have a little camera round his neck and they could be holding hands. I guess it depends if you want to go down the novelty figures route but it could look really cool. You could keep the rest of the cake really simple. Champagne icing - red wine ribbon at the base of the tiers of a stacked cake?

Just some thoughts will look forward to hearing other peoples thoughts

icon_smile.gif

MJ2008 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 15

My first thought was to make them toppers too, but a little different. Have her with the soccer ball posing for him to take a photo. I like the PP's suggestion of him in a top hat and her with a veil and have them wearing the wedding colors. Other than that pretty much any pretty design you like with their colors.

CakesbyCarla Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 15

I'll apologize in advance. I tend to see things in my head better than I can explain them. So if this doesn't translate well I'm really sorry...

At first when I read this, I thought of it as a "groom's" cake since it's fun and playful. Then I read the "serves 300" part and what other's responded and thought "maybe you want to do just one big cake".

Just in case you are NOT doing one big cake, and you might want to do a traditional cake AND a groom's cake to collectively serve 300 here's my idea.

Make a large soccer field (Maybe two 11x15 rectangle pans). Use realistic colors for grass, lines etc. Make the goals etc - some good details.

Also make some figures that are in action playing soccer, not too many that they distract from the main scene. I'll explain that next.

So, in the middle have the "bride" figure, made to look like her as much as possible, standing still, facing the side line looking at the "groom" figure, who's holding his camera. It should look like everything was frozen mid game when they saw each other and fell in love. Depending on your feelings, you could embellish the bride with a veil (but still wearing the soccer uniform) and the groom with a tux or bow tie or top hat etc. OR just make them look like what they would've looked like the day the met. They should both have a smile and love struck expression.

To add to the cuteness, make some little red hearts (deep wine red maybe?) and put them on food safe wires and stick them in the figures so they look like old school cartoons when cupid strikes and they begin exuding hearts. This will convey the "love at first sight" feel of the cake.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense. I could probably draw it better than explain. Good luck. Sounds like a really fun project.

Jo-melia Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 15

I'd do a topper (if i could! lol). A bride with a soccer ball under her foot, lift her dress a little so you can actually see her feet, and put soccer boots on her. The groom with a camera around his neck. I would dress them in what the real bride and groom are wearing, people seem to like that! icon_smile.gif

frankdiabetes Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 15

Oooh, thanks everyone for all the replies! Somehow I didn't get notified of any responses.

I thought about doing it as a topper, too...but wondered if it would look silly or incongruous with the more elegant tiers. I love the idea of her posing with a soccer ball under her foot in the gown though, and him in his tux with a little camera, taking a photo.

My original idea was to make both a groom's cake and a traditional cake. I could go wild on the groom's cake and incorporate all that but keep the wedding cake simple and elegant. But it sounds like the groom is set on having those figurines on the actual wedding cake.

Time to work on my figure making skills I guess! This will be my first wedding cake for anyone and I'm scared...especially since it will have to be transported 5 hours in the August heat and humidity (I live in Wisconsin). Anyone have any suggestions on how to best do that?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:

Oooh, thanks everyone for all the replies! Somehow I didn't get notified of any responses.

I thought about doing it as a topper, too...but wondered if it would look silly or incongruous with the more elegant tiers. I love the idea of her posing with a soccer ball under her foot in the gown though, and him in his tux with a little camera, taking a photo.

My original idea was to make both a groom's cake and a traditional cake. I could go wild on the groom's cake and incorporate all that but keep the wedding cake simple and elegant. But it sounds like the groom is set on having those figurines on the actual wedding cake.

Time to work on my figure making skills I guess! This will be my first wedding cake for anyone and I'm scared...especially since it will have to be transported 5 hours in the August heat and humidity (I live in Wisconsin). Anyone have any suggestions on how to best do that?

I know its scary Frank and I can totally sympathise - we're here for support when you need it anytime. I know I posted loads during my first 4 tier cake for a friend in July. I didn't sleep properly, eat properly yet I'm fine with customer's cakes. I think it adds pressure that it is a friend. with the heat we don't have that problem so much over here but I had a 3 hour journey with the cake in my boot and was a hot up until the wedding. I got a really good quality stacked cake box. My advice is make sure each tier is totally dry before you stack or move anything anywhere. at least 24 hours for the tiers to dry - are you using fondant? I'd get the car running first, make sure the temp inside is reasonable then place cake in. don't let the cake get too cold before you move it outside as condensation may cause sweating from the differing temps. I'm sure some of the other CCers on here will give better advice as they are used to the humidity you guys get there. I'm sure they will love the cake - its a great gift. I gave as a gift and they were over the moon. Be kind to yourself and try not to think too much about the whole thing. I did a cake schedule for the week. planned each stage out what i was doing each day and allowed for any hiccups along the way. I had one - the lemon flavour i didn't like once baked and had to rebake 2 tiers. But as i'd planned I had plenty of time to re-do and it be iced and dry for decorating and stacking
icon_biggrin.gif

frankdiabetes Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:41am
post #8 of 15

Thanks allaboutcakeuk! Yes I am using fondant, is that better than buttercream for a cake that needs to travel? I thought it would be less vulnerable to dings and dents during the transport.

It's just sort of stressful to think about all the things that could go wrong but I suppose that's true for anything. I'll definitely be baking for weeks ahead of time and freezing layers but I have a year to think about it!

I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions as I go about it.

Oh, and I just now noticed that you're from the UK...it took me a moment when you said "3 hour journey with the cake in my boot." That would definitely be a long journey with a cake in your boot! icon_biggrin.gif

iamcakin Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:28am
post #9 of 15
Quote:

Aine2 figure tutorials
SPS - the ONLY way to transport stacked cakes stress-free - IMHO icon_wink.gif
Sugarshack's icing recipe - I had a cake sit OUTSIDE for 5 1/2 hours Saturday in Georgia's heat/humidity, the heat index was 102 degrees...the icing slid not even a fraction of an inch!

Congrats on the opportunity do do such a fun cake for your friends!! You'll do great - we've got your back! thumbs_up.gif

eve81 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:06am
post #10 of 15

Hi Frank
just an idea but it might be fun to have the bride sitting on the top tier in her dress with the soccer boots hanging out from beneath it and a ball beside her, then her groom on a lower tier with his tux on, taking a pic of her. Might be easier to support the figure and camera etc if he's leaning on the cake?
i'm sure the toppers will be great too though icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:39am
post #11 of 15

tried to fix this, can't delete, look at next post

tokazodo Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 11:41am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokazodo

Quote:

Oh yes! This gets my vote! I think this is a wonderful idea and someone just added to put the bride in soccer boots!, (cleats!) what a wonderful idea.
In my honest opinion, I feel you must add the classic wedding cake with the whimsical wedding topper! I think that is where the humor comes in. You see this classic beautiful wedding cake with these unexpected personalized toppers! By putting the husband and wife to be in classic wedding clothes and adding the soccer/photography stuff, it's just enough personalized details. There is a point where too much becomes TOO MUCH! You need to know a good stopping point. (I sometimes miss it!)
I recently did a wedding cake for my son who is into computers. Penguins are a mascot of a certain computer software and I wanted to incorporate them into the design. Should the fondant black fondant penguins sit on the cake board in the front of the cake? I decided to place them on the top of the bottom tier on the back of the cake. It wouldn't take away from the rest of the cake and it added some whimsy to the cake. My son didn't see the penguins (dressed in top hat and veil) until he and his bride went to cut the cake. He was totally surprised and cracked up laughing when he saw the back of the cake and he was totally thrilled with them. (photo of cake in my profile)
<http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743834&sub=1743837>
<http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743834&sub=1743840>
You will never regret too much planning either. Sketch it out so you have a plan. You are on the right track by getting your ducks in a row now, for a year from now.
Good Luck to you and make sure you upload your photos so we can see how it turned out!

Oops! Sorry, need some more coffee!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743834&sub=1743837

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1743834&sub=1743840

frankdiabetes Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:24pm
post #13 of 15

tokazodo, I love those Linux penguins...my husband is a computer geek extraordinaire and those look so adorable on the cake. They're like "hey, we're getting married too!"

That's exactly what I was thinking, that I don't want the wedding cake to be over the top ridiculous but the groom was pretty adamant about wanting those personal touches. I ordered some of Aine2's figure tutorials and also some polymer clay sculpting books.

I definitely want to be over-prepared rather than under for this. I told them it was a rather dubious distinction to be my VERY FIRST wedding cake ever, but hopefully I can do a good job for them and make something they'll be pleased with.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions so far!

gscout73 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-melia

I'd do a topper (if i could! lol). A bride with a soccer ball under her foot, lift her dress a little so you can actually see her feet, and put soccer boots on her. The groom with a camera around his neck. I would dress them in what the real bride and groom are wearing, people seem to like that! icon_smile.gif

This is a great idea for the top of an elegant cake... it would be spectacular.

Sandy

iamcakin Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 12:31am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve81

Hi Frank
just an idea but it might be fun to have the bride sitting on the top tier in her dress with the soccer boots hanging out from beneath it and a ball beside her, then her groom on a lower tier with his tux on, taking a pic of her. Might be easier to support the figure and camera etc if he's leaning on the cake?
i'm sure the toppers will be great too though icon_smile.gif

I love this idea!! And you are exactly right about sitting/leaning figures.

I think I might like the look of them on the second and third tier...but I'm partial to that "look" icon_rolleyes.gif ! I've done a scuba-diving couple sitting on the side of a wedding cake and a traditional couple sitting on a little suitcase on the top of the cake - Lorraine's figure tutorials ROCK!

I'm sure what ever Frank chooses will be perfect, can't wait to see the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%