Problems With Blue Fondant

Baking By bluejeannes Updated 7 Aug 2010 , 12:54am by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 6

Everytime I make blue fondant (or even black for that matter) I just can NOT roll it out without it crumbling. I can knead it perfectly and it's a perfect texture. Then I start to roll it out and it just falls apart. I tried using shortening over it (just by rubbing it on the top) and it still falls apart. Any suggestions? It's REALLY frustrating!

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 6

What type of coloring are you using?What brand fondant?The texture sounds like it is drying out after you roll it out...hmmmm....What about microwaving it a bit first...

bluejeannes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 6

Im using the wilton colours (the gels) and just regular marshmallow fondant (a recipe I found on here) with marshmallows, water, butter flavor, vanilla flavor and icing sugar.
I tried putting it in the microwave first...but still crumbles! ugh!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 6

It soundfs like there isn't enough marshmellow in the recipe to keep it plyable...You may have to make another batch...Try Michelle Fosters MMF recipe..I have heard nothing but rave reviews about it!!It is in the recipe section here on CC!!

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 6

You could also try adding a teaspoon or two of corn syrup to help with pliability.

bluejeannes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 6

hmm I never thought about more marshmallows, or corn syrup...thanks! I'll try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%