Freeze Or Refrigerate Cake After Icing, Before Decorating

Decorating By AngieD300 Updated 1 May 2014 , 2:13am by ljdills

AngieD300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngieD300 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 9

I'm sure this has been asked, and probably by me, but...If i fill & crumb coat a cake on Sunday night, but can't decorate till Monday afternoon, would it be better to put iced cakes back into the fridge or freezer? which will keep cakes fresher & not stale?
I'll be keeping cakes in a sealed cake holder, not re-wrapping. I appreciate any help with this!!![/list]

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 9

It would be best to keep the cake on the counter. Sunday night to Monday afternoon is nothing.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 9

Once your cakes are iced, they won't dry out.

AngieD300 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the great advice ; )

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 9

Another tip if you are leaving your cake on the counter, but have problems with ants or other little creatures: Fill a baking pan with some water, then balance the cake onto of some sturdy cups, or upside down bowl or whatever. This makes a kind of moat that the nasties can't get through unless they learn to swim!

AngieD300 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 9

That's good advice. It's super hot here in Florida so little buggers are always to get inside. I was going to keep the two cakes in my cake carriers.

AngieD300 Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 9

One thing i didn't mention is that the cake is for Tuesday evening. So with all this being said, will there be any harm (loss is freshness, staleness, etc), if i went ahead & decorated cake on Sunday & kept in on counter till Tuesday?
I mean, i was thinking it would be ok because i was going to put it back in fridge, but then it's advised to keep it on counter. So, if i put the fondant on & fully decorate, on Sunday night, can i still keep it out till Tuesday...OR should i just ice & decorate Monday afternoon (not too much time available).

ajermakow05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajermakow05 Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:03am
post #8 of 9

AI have a similar question. It is right now Wednesday night and I have a cake for Tuesday afternoon. I wont be able to ice the cake at all until Tuesday afternoon (an hour before I needs to be at delivery site) unless I crumb coat it tomorrow (Thursday) night. Will it be ok if I crumb coat the cake Thursday night and then ice and decorate it Tuesday? And... should I refrigerate it or just leave it in a cake carrier???? Help!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 1 May 2014 , 2:13am
post #9 of 9

ajermakow05 I personally would not keep a cake for a customer on the counter or in the refrigerator for 5 days.  Even with a good crumb coat after 5 days the cake will lose its freshness.  I have baked cakes for my family and it has taken us a few days to eat the whole cake but even in those cases I throw them out after 5 - 7 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%