Client Ordered Cake For Wrong Day, Can I Freeze It?

Decorating By mustangsallii Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 4:29am by bmarlow001

mustangsallii Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 13

I spent 5 hours decorating a 3-D Jeep cake last night only for the client to tell me she gave me the wrong date! It is fully covered and decorated with MMF. I have a full calendar next week and there's no way I can do this cake again. Can I freeze it fully decorated? What will the thawing do to the fondant? If I have to remove the fondant and do that part again I can, I just won't get any sleep that night. I work a full time job and I have plans that can not be change on next Thursday night. I'm just sick over this. Help!

12 replies
CWR41 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 13

Yea, you can freeze it, but you'll most certainly get some responses from those that think you should have the customer deal with freezing it. It should be their responsibility, since it was their mistake. You already did your part.

cakes47 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 13

I hope you already got paid for this cake!! I would tell the customer to
stick it in her . . . . . freezer (give instructions when to take it out!!!)
How do you tell a decorator at the last minute you gave the wrong
date??? Geeeeeeeeeez!!!
icon_twisted.gif :roll eyes:

cakes47 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 13

I hope you already got paid for this cake!! I would tell the customer to
stick it in her . . . . . freezer (give instructions when to take it out!!!)
How do you tell a decorator at the last minute you gave the wrong
date??? Geeeeeeeeeez!!!
icon_twisted.gif :roll eyes:

awatterson Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 13

I agree that I would tell them that it is their cake now and they can freeze it.

Ivy383 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 13

I agree. It's not your responsibility. They gave you the wrong date. I would only stress it if it was my error. In that case I would not freeze the cake I would make them a new one on the correct date. Once again, not your problem that she messed up. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

Yep. The customer needs to pick up the cake, boxed, with your freezing instructions on the original date. Her mistake is not your emergency.

DeeDelightful Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with all of the above. Similar thing happened to me, but i was stuck with the 2 tier buttercream w/fondant accented cake for another week, due to an ice storm. Neither the customer nor I could get out the house. Otherwise, I would have advised her to pick up the cake and store it herself. In the end, it did thaw well, no running of the fondant colors, stayed intact and they said it was the most moist and delicious cake.

kansaslaura Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 13

Oohhh yea.. she (the customer) needs to do the freezing and thawing. I can just imagine if something slips or slides due to freezing and thawing she'll expect you to fix it if it's still in your 'custody'.

She needs to pick it up as ordered.

JulieMN Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yep. The customer needs to pick up the cake, boxed, with your freezing instructions on the original date. Her mistake is not your emergency.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #11 of 13

ditto to all of the above.

mustangsallii Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #12 of 13

Well the cake is in my freezer for now. I did take a 50% deposit as I do on all cakes over $60. If I have to do touch up work she's paying for it dearly, however I need to be prepared to do the work. That's why I need to know what is going to happen to the fondant during thawing. Also, how far in advance do I need to pull it out of the freezer? I would ordinarily take the stance of "It's not my problem", but she's a friend of a friend so I want to help her out. .

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #13 of 13

Friend of a friend or not, I would politely tell her that you already made the cake for the date she gave you and you would put freezing instructions on the box for her. I think anyone taht made a mistake like that would understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%