Website Questions - Hobbyist?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 9 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm by JaimeAnn

Writecakes Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 8

I'm a hobbyist only, but would like to have a website. I don't want a blog or anything like that, but a website showing some of my work, recipes, fun stuff, etc. Should I have a disclaimer on my site stating I am a hobbyist only? I'm just getting paranoid with all the discussions lately. icon_confused.gif Also, are there any other hobbyists that have websites that are not blog formats? If so, can I please visit?

Thanks so much

7 replies
myslady Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 8

You can, but you really don't have to.

As long as you don't have any contact information on your page, people won't try and contact you about making cakes for them.

SoSasha Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 8

It sounds like what you are talking about will really be a "blog" in website clothing (arranged by topic in single page format, rather than by date in streaming format). You could find a lot of your inspiration about what kind of information to include by looking at other caking blogs since these are peers with like interests who are not sharing information for a profit.

As long as you're not listing pricing, you are in no way breaking the law! Anyone can have a website about anything they want. And, worse comes to worse, if Mr. Health Department calls you, it wouldn't matter anyways since there is nothing to shut down icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 8

I have a website that's not a blog. http://fatmamascakes.weebly.com/

On my front page I have a little paragraph about not being a bakery. I don't have my city listed anymore...when I used to have it listed, I would get people contacting me (with the website form) and asking if I'd make an exception and do a cake for them. So I changed it to mention the state I live in instead.

I haven't done much with it lately. I thought about a blog in the past, but there are just some days or months when I don't have anything to say icon_biggrin.gif

mandymakescakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:24am
post #5 of 8

My website is blog-ish, and I do have contact information and visitors can post comments on my journal, but I am only a hobbyist and state so in my "about me." I've had my site up since November 2009, and have had no random requests for services. I use SquareSpace for the design, Go Daddy to host... can't say enough good things about both. They're super easy to use! icon_lol.gif

Rylan Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #6 of 8

Try Wordpress. I know it's a blog but you can make it not look like a blog. I also have a blog but I have a gallery and other pages. Possibilities are endless.

Writecakes Posted 7 Aug 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all so much. icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 8

Like Texas Rose I used www.weebly.com for my website . I love how easy thier templates are .

You can use it for any kind of website or blog. Mine has both a website and a blog.

I have heard wordpress is really good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%