Crumbles In Icing!

Decorating By Caballita Updated 6 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm by CWR41

Caballita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caballita Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 2

icon_cry.gif I made a simple stacked cake and tried out Duff's pre-made icing. (was super tight on time) and also wanted to try out his "cake tattoos". I was thoroughly disappointed from a few things:

First off, his icing was not soft so it kept ripping parts of my cake out while spreading and crumbs eventually saturated all of the icing making it look terrible and lumpy, not clean smooth edges, as seen on his packaging.

Secondly, his icing hardened very quickly so it contributed to more crumbs, ripping.

Thirdly, the tattoos did NOT stick to the icing properly and the sizing of them did not match the size of the cake which was listed on that packaging instruction.

Now that i'll never use the tattoos or his icing again, can someone help me with after I flat-top cakes, how can I avoid pulling up crumbs and what is the best icing to do this so it's soft enough to not pull up crumbs and has a nice smooth finish?

Thank so much!!!!

1 reply
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballita

First off, his icing was not soft so it kept ripping parts of my cake out while spreading and crumbs eventually saturated all of the icing making it look terrible and lumpy, not clean smooth edges, as seen on his packaging.

Add liquid. Clean smooth edges comes with practice. How much experience do you have icing cakes? (I wouldn't expect someone's first time icing a cake would look anything like a photo on product packaging.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballita

Secondly, his icing hardened very quickly so it contributed to more crumbs, ripping.

Add liquid. If it's creamy and smooth to begin with instead of stiff and dry, naturally, it wouldn't harden so quickly (also helps to get a smooth end result, if it's smooth to begin with).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%